Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to engrave an imported dxf file

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
tjchance22
316 Views, 8 Replies

How to engrave an imported dxf file

I imported a dxf file and watched some youtube videos on how to make it the right dimension, but honestly the videos i found were not very helpful. I am still having trouble figuring out how to make the sketch a part of the project. I was able to get it to the right dimensions but when i go to manufacture, i cant select the sketch to engrave or trace. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jhackney1972
in reply to: tjchance22

Take a look at the video.  Your modified model is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 9
tjchance22
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you! That was very helpful!

Message 4 of 9
tjchance22
in reply to: jhackney1972

I'm having another issue. Somehow the model is at 500" I'd like to make it 4"x 6". I tried putting in 4 and 6 for my x and y in cam and it gave me an error. Tried ignoring it and ran it on my machine but yeah, it seems like the dimensions are still at 500" square. 

Message 5 of 9
seth.madore

Please share your most recent file so we can see what you see.

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 9
tjchance22

Will do, thanks

Message 7 of 9
tjchance22

I tried sending the file over in the last reply. Not sure if it came through. Ill try attaching it to this reply. 

Message 8 of 9
jhackney1972

The sketch in your model is truly 500 inches by 500 inches.  I scaled it to 4 inches by 6 inches but this makes the line detail extremely small.  You select engraving tool will not work for this fine detail.  Even if I go down to a .0625 diameter it takes away the detail.  Model is attached.  Beware, it is a F3Z file because of your added machine so you will have to upload it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 9 of 9
tjchance22

Awesome thanks so much! I ended up just not selecting all of the geometry in cam and set the depth at .003" and it seems to be working. Just for next time so I know how to do it, how did you scale it? I was trying to figure it out last time but was having a hard time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report