Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to drive the center of my tool down a sketch line?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mlitzkow
119 Views, 3 Replies

How to drive the center of my tool down a sketch line?

This is in Fusion 360. I have a self-defined form tool. It's a dovetail cutter, and I want to drive the center of the tool straight along a path defined in a sketch. The tool always moves along at an offset parallel to the sketch line instead. I think this has something to do with the way I defined my compensation point or the kind of tool path I am using. I have gotten it to work, but I always need to put an offset into my tool path to get the center of the line to follow the tool. I really would like to just get Fusion to move the center of the tool down the path without a compensating offset. 

Let's ask the simple question first. Is there a 2D toolpath available that will allow for driving the tool down the center of the line as opposed to machining next to the line? If so, which one?

Given that, where should I put my compensation point to facilitate this kind of use?

Many thanks in advance,

-- Mike Litzkow

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: mlitzkow

Yep, the trace toolpath will drive the tool from centerline

alaasW8M6T_0-1701996227433.png

If you are diving down the center of a sketch the compensation point doesn't matter.

I does matter for using left/right comp in Trace or using 2d contour.

It basically controls the part of the tool that follows the contour

Message 3 of 4

2d contour with compensation set to off works as well

Message 4 of 4
mlitzkow
in reply to: mlitzkow

Ah, you're talking about "Compensation" on the Passes tab. Yes, that works great, and much more closely matches my design intent. Thank you both!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report