Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create v-groove bits

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
supernetdude
13983 Views, 6 Replies

how to create v-groove bits

I've been searching forums for info on v-groove bits in Fusion but appears these aren't really supported yet. I have this http://www.toolstoday.com/p-6009.aspx?searchEngineName=in-groove-cnc-insert-engraving-tool-body-repl... and want to know how to create in Fusion tool editor. I have seen someone say to use chamfer bit and custom create it but I can't figure out the settings to create the bit. Any help would be great. 

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

If you want to use it for engraving set up a chamfer mill something like this. The taper angle is per side by the way.

before.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7

thanks for the help. Couple questions... Why are there three flutes? Wouldn't it be 2 flutes? And what is meant by 'taper angle is per side'?

Message 4 of 7

I said something like this, if you have 2 flutes put in 2, I just grabbed a tool from my library and it was set to 3. Angle per side means if you have a 90° cutter you'd enter 45°.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7

Great. The angle part makes sense now. Thanks for the help and explanation. 

Message 6 of 7
qictools_us
in reply to: supernetdude

It seems that v-groove bits, particularly the carbide-tipped ones, are not fully supported in Fusion 360 yet. To replicate your v-groove bit in the Fusion tool editor, you can try using the chamfer bit as a workaround and manually create the custom settings to match the geometry of your v-groove bit. However, it might be challenging to achieve the exact specifications. Any insights or assistance from experienced users with v-groove carbide-tipped bits in Fusion 360 would be greatly appreciated.

Message 7 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: qictools_us

V-groove bits and Chamfer tools are one and the same. If you have the dimensions of the V-bit you'll be able to define your Chamfer tool. There are some graphical inconsistencies, especially when you have a Vee bit that's larger than the shank, but this is largely irrelevant for most cases.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums