Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automate open pocket selection

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
TylerJ804
171 Views, 3 Replies

How to automate open pocket selection

Hey guys,

I use Fusion to run my CNC for cabinet making.. I often machine groves or dados in my parts, and selecting them can be very tedious. I'm aware of same face selection in 2D contour, which technically works due to the size of the pockets, but I can't get the tool to extend past the part in order to complete the dado(It will stay within the confines of the selected boundary)

I've attached a screenshot to show what I mean and what I am doing - I typically use a Pocket command which I have saved as a template, and individually select each dado. I've tried to use the pocket detection feature but I can't get it to work with the open ended dados.

Any help would be great!!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
leo.castellon
in reply to: TylerJ804

Everyone has their own way of doing things, but if I were to make these, I would use patterns to automate your process. Check out this help article from ADesk: Fusion 360 Help | Toolpath patterns | Autodesk . This way, you can dial in your process for one part, then use pattern to populate the nest of parts.

LeoC

Message 3 of 4
seth.madore

I second the notion of "use Patterns", as they do truly make things easier. However, that assumes all parts are identical and in same orientation (unless you use Component Pattern). If all the parts vary in size and location, you're limited in what you can do to automate this, currently. However, we are working on more automatic selections, but it's still in early stages. 

If you'd be willing to share your file, I'd be happy to take a gander at it and make any suggestions as to how you can speed things up.

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 4
TylerJ804

Thanks for the input, guys! 

Unfortunately, the pattern feature wont work out for me, as I use the nesting function in Fusion to generate my sheets - in this case I have three different style drawer boxes in my nest, and the parts are rotated and aligned every-which-way as Fusion saw fit.

I guess I was hoping for an easy solution using pre-existing tools. I could send my file to you directly @seth.madore but I don't feel comfortable posting it publicly.

Thanks!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report