Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to attack a pocket in material

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bradheller
194 Views, 5 Replies

How to attack a pocket in material

Hey Fellas,

I'd like to ask advice on how someone would attack the following shelf cut in the side of material. I'm using a CNC Router cutting MDF and I'd like to achieve it all by using a 6mm 2F Straight Cut bit. I've cutout the silouhete of the part but I need to cut out the slot in the side of it. Because it slopes down and away, the pocket tool doesn't work like the rest of my pockets. The rest of my pockets are nice and flat. 

I've tried all different types of cut but I have no idea what I'm doing. Hope someone can help.

Setup1.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

It might help if you can post the fusion file. Easier to see what you are trying to do and comment/help....

Cheers!

Message 3 of 6
seth.madore
in reply to: bradheller

I think this is Part 568 from your nesting file that you were struggling with earlier. What sort of finish are you looking for? Square internal edges, or is a fillet acceptable?

Likely the easiest to do would be just a Trace or Scallop toolpath. Examples attached

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 6
bradheller
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for the help again Seth. The Trace function is the only one I managed to get to work but it only follows a single line and doesn't cut out the entire pocket.

Message 5 of 6
seth.madore
in reply to: bradheller

What sort of finish are you looking for in the pocket, and what do you have for tooling at your disposal?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 6
bradheller
in reply to: seth.madore

I want to stick with the 6mm straight cut bit. I think I'll stick with the trace and finish off with a chisel. Its only a one off job for myself.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report