Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I select 3 sides of a cube to machine?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
men8ifr
105 Views, 4 Replies

How do I select 3 sides of a cube to machine?

If I have a cube and I want to machine only 3 of the sides how do I do that? 

I'm a beginner at CAM but thought e.g in 2D adaptive contour under the geometry tab  I would expect to be able to select face and pick the faces I want machined though it won't let me select any side faces. 

I could select the top and bottom and I can also get it to machine all the faces, just not ones I want to select. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
DarthBane55
in reply to: men8ifr

with 2d paths, you need to select edges.  Make sure you only select the edge of the sides you want to machine (use ALT to select 1 edge), and it should work for you.

Message 3 of 5
men8ifr

Thanks and is this possible with 3D adaptive as well? 

Message 4 of 5
DarthBane55

Certainly, but it is more complicated.  I attached a sample file with 3 toolpaths.

1st path is 2d adaptive, machining 2 edges.  Selection is easy, you pick the 2 edges and that's it.

2nd path is 3d adaptive, with the rest machining set to "from previous operations".  It results in mainly machining just the 2 edges left, but the last pass gets the other 2 edges as well.  If I had set a bigger allowance, it would not have machined them, but usually you'd want consistent finish allowance, so this is so-so.

3rd path is 3d adaptive again, but this time the rest machining is set to "from setup stock", so it ignores the previous operations (in this case, it doesn't make a difference, but on complex stuff it is faster to calculate the path this way, but then it doesn't know what was machined previously so not always great).  To do only 2 edges, I had to draw 2 "containment sketches", which you can see if you turn on the sketches.  It limits the toolpath to inside those 2 rectangles.

So these are different ways to contain your machining area, in this case, the easiest is 2d.  Also note that all 2d toolpaths do not know what was machined previously, so it is up to you to limit your paths as you wish.  3d paths know what was machined before, so often this is a great time saver.

I hope this helps!

Message 5 of 5
men8ifr
in reply to: DarthBane55

Thanks that does help - these are the sort of things that are not obvious unless you have some experience. I think you also explained why you would ever want to turn off rest machining (calculation time) 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report