Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I engrave on an angled surface with a ball mill?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
joshrobertlee
191 Views, 6 Replies

How can I engrave on an angled surface with a ball mill?

I have text I'd like to engrave on an angled surface, but Trace and Project always follows the centerline of the text and the text ends up higher than it should. The steeper the angle, the higher the text. I've also tried breaking non-line-only text into lines, creating a surface the using 3D toolpaths to profile that surface. I've also tried modeling the text .0001 to .01 into the surface but a ball mill doesn't seem to like it due to the sharp corners. I've done this manually using macros on a CNC mill so I know it can be done, but can it be done in Fusion? 

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DarthBane55
in reply to: joshrobertlee

So I'm assuming that you cannot rotate the part to engrave it straight, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this.  I had to simulate your part to understand what you meant.  In that case I think I would just lower the engraving sketch to get the actual engraving where you want it, unless you have some crazy tolerance for the position of the text, which would be surprising.  Project is the way to go, just position the sketch lower so the end result is what you want.

Btw, if you make your sketch all construction lines except the text itself, and you explode the text, when you get to CAM you can just click the sketch itself in the tree, you don't need to pick each individual lines of the text.

Message 3 of 7
cnc.shop

Message 4 of 7
seth.madore

In order for Project to work (placing the text where you actually want it), you're going to have to reposition the text .218" down:

2023-10-27_14h47_29.png

Of course, that's based on that size tool. The number will be much smaller as the tool decreases in diameter.

Select this new text and we get this:

2023-10-27_14h48_48.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 7
joshrobertlee
in reply to: seth.madore

Where does the 0.218 value come from? Are you able to measure the distance between the toolpath and the sketch somehow?

Message 6 of 7
seth.madore

No, it was trial and error. I think there's some math that can get you there, but I took the hacky way out...

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 7
seth.madore

double post, that was odd...

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report