Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hobbyist Fusion 360 Won't Post multiple tool paths, even though there is no tool change.

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
adamsd5
526 Views, 11 Replies

Hobbyist Fusion 360 Won't Post multiple tool paths, even though there is no tool change.

I am suffering through the massive crippling event that has ruined much of what I learned to do in Fusion.  Today's problem is post-processing.  I get the following error:

adamsd5_0-1613531839661.png

However, the selected toolpaths all use the same tool.  I do use a different speed on one of the paths.  Does that matter?  

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: adamsd5

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 12
adamsd5
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for the screen cast.  What fixed it was making sure to select the tool from the document rather than my cloud tools for the second path. 

I think the odd part is that if I kept all the defaults, it worked if I selected the tool again from the library (hence showing up more than once in the document list).  I guess if all of the speed/feed settings are identical, then Fusion will treat them as the same tool anyhow?  In fact, if I change the speed for the second path to match the first path, the post-processing worked.

Going forward I'll definitely use the technique you shared... thanks!  Also, I'll play around with the presets.  They didn't seem necessary to keep it as 'one tool', but they do seem like a feature I could use.

Message 4 of 12
vincedovy
in reply to: adamsd5

I am having the exact same problem. In the past I was able to select "by toolpath" or "by tool" during the post process and it was fine. Now I get the "can't generate NC programs with multiple toolpaths" error, even though none of the NC programs contain multiple tools. #crippleware I can work around by creating multiple setups, but this is stupid.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: vincedovy

@vincedovy It's likely that, while it may appear to be using the same tool, there are actually copies of the same tool in the document. The proper workflow is this:
Create a Setup, define your model

Create a first toolpath, select a tool from the library

Create second toolpath, but select the tool from the document, not the library.

If you go back to the library each time to select the same tool, you're effectively creating duplicates of the tool and there is no relationship between them.

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 12
vincedovy

Thanks, I did watch the video, however that is not my problem. The problem
is that I created a setup that does use multiple tools. I know that I
cannot have a single NC file that includes tool changes. My CNC (OpenBuilds
OX running GrblHAL) does not support that even if the Fusion software was
running correctly. My problem is that when I try to output the single setup
and have it split the NC files by tool or toolpath, it gives me the error
message, even though there would be no tool changes within a single NC
file. If I split the operations using a different tool into a separate
Setup, it posts no problem.
Message 7 of 12
seth.madore

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 12
vincedovy

Sure, it's for a spoiler board, nothing special. Setup1 cannot be post processed when I select "by tool" or "by toolpath", which I always do as my CNC does not support tool changes. If I delete "Drill2" from the setup it can.

Message 9 of 12
seth.madore

Right, so your issue is the software working as it's designed for the Personal user. You can't post process the Setup itself, so you need to create NC Programs that group the toolpaths per tool (if possible) or one-by-one:

2024-03-09_07h36_47.png

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 12
vincedovy

If that's the way it works, then why is there even a split by tool or toolpath?? Seems pretty lame as the only thing that the setup gives you in that case is a header g-code file that only contains comments and then separate NC files for each toolpath. I guess I'll have to put multiple setups in order of the desired cuts and ignore the useless split by toolpath option.

Message 11 of 12
seth.madore

The "Split by tool" is a function that's built into the post processor, not the software. The stance of the software itself is "Personal licenses don't have access to the tool change function". The binary choice stops there, regardless of what option the post processor gives. Personal License Yes/No:

Yes; do not permit posting of Setups or NC Programs that have more than one tool defined.

No: permit posting of Setups/NC Programs that contain multiple tools.

Once that check is completed, then it goes to the post processor where it's told "hey, split this out by tool".

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 12
vincedovy

So in the Personal vs regular Fusion comparison, it just says that
Automatic Tool Changes are not permitted. Since you have the information
before the machine specific post processor is called, wouldn't the correct
conditional be "IF Personal license AND Setup has multiple tools AND No
Splits selected THEN error"?
I suppose there might be some post processors that automate the split,
rather than simply commenting it in the "header" NC file. But if you had a
more expensive machine with a tool changer it would make more sense just to
buy the full subscription.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report