Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Feed Milling

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
twritt
2527 Views, 12 Replies

High Feed Milling

We are looking for help on using a Kennametal Shell Mill in Fusion 360.  I can't seem to get the geometry right.  I started trying a form mill but it won't let me do the operations we need.  The cutter is the Kennametal 7792VXD12 Shell mill.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
heed.mfg
in reply to: twritt

In the same situation here. Been trying to figure out a way to accurately create our 1.5" Kenfeed 2x for an upcoming job. The closest i have come to an "accurate" geometry is to use the facemill tool with the diameter set to the cutters minimum, the lead angle set to something like 75 deg(for a 15deg tool) and then mess with the flute length until the cutters major diameter matches up with the shank of the tool in the tool image(i set my shank to 1.5" until i get the flutes "correct"), after that i set my correct shank diameter. Im yet to test this in the machine but right away the simulation in fusion360 warns me of shaft contact despite my shaft being .029" smaller(its supposed to be anyway). Use this method at your own risk.

The downsides to doing it this way are, in no way shape or form is this an accurate way to make the tool, corner radius doesn't show up, basically a guess and check tool setup.

A high feed mill tool option would be awesome and take the guess work out, maybe we will see that one day....?

Hopefully somebody has a better solution. Ill report back if i figure something better out. Sorry i don't have a better answer for you, but hey at least your not alone right......

Message 3 of 13
Steinwerks
in reply to: heed.mfg

The last time I used a feed mill (1" diameter) it came with documentation of how to set the tool up in CAM that didn't support the tool type with a radius to use for it. Perhaps the Kennametal tools have something similar?

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 4 of 13
heed.mfg
in reply to: Steinwerks

I got in touch with kennametal and they sent me the radius(like steinwerks suggested) to use with their kenfeed 2x mill. They can most likely do the same for your mill. The pdf they sent had lots of good information that i wasnt able to find on their website. So you might want to check into that.
Message 5 of 13
twritt

What "type" of tool did you create it as once you got that info?

Message 6 of 13
heed.mfg

Their information wants you to use it as a toroidal tool, but a bullnose endmill should work just fine. I have a couple days until im at the point of using this tool but ill report back with how it goes after i run it.
Message 7 of 13
heed.mfg

Running program right now. Only change youll want to make in the program is to have a manual stepover to eleminate cusps if that matters to you. I have the tool set as a 1.5" facemill, 0 lead angle, the .1063" CR that kennametal told me to use and .1063" flute and shoulder length. This is for the kenfeed 2x so youll want to contact them to find the proper radius for your cutter. But im 1.75" into the pocket im machining now and no problems.
Message 8 of 13
twritt

Hey Heed, Did it work out in the end?

Message 9 of 13
Steinwerks

I believe his Instagram post says it all:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bki0Z2pgmh-/?taken-by=heed.mfg

Smiley Very Happy

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 10 of 13
twritt
in reply to: Steinwerks

Haha, I guess you are right.  Looks good.  Thanks guys for the help.

Message 11 of 13
heed.mfg

Yes, it worked out beautifully.
Message 12 of 13
BWENGUK

Evening all,

Resurrecting an old thread to see if there is a more elegant solution to this issue now, 5 years on? I'm having, and have previously had, some pretty major issues using 3d adaptive with high feed mills, given their non-standard geometry. A lot of them give you details of what to put in the CAM, ie treat it as a shell mill with a rad, but this is not good enough.

For example today we're running a job with a Widia M370, the same as the KenFeed 2X, and I've been having trouble with the cusps.

Is there a way to add a form tool and use it during 3d adaptive? I have the cad file for this tool and can add it as a form tool. But this currently can't be used for anything other than a 2D contour!

Message 13 of 13
seth.madore
in reply to: BWENGUK

Sadly, there has been no improvement to this situation.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums