Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with toolpath

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
pfigen
337 Views, 11 Replies

Help with toolpath

Hi all

I`m trying to set up the toolpaths for this item. I will be using three different bits, and I believe my problem is the first  toolpath using the 19mm round nose bit from CMT. 

I would be thrilled if one of you could assist me in creating this first toolpath to clear out the rounded pockets in this model. I`m still new to fusion and CNC, so everyday is a learning curve 🙂

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: pfigen

While this isn't the approach I would take, what exactly is the problem you're running into? There are many ways to tackle this project, but a lot of it depends on the machine and tooling you have at your disposal

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 12
pfigen
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for your time Seth!

The problem is that the round nose bit won`t clear all the material to the bottom of the pocket. It kind of stops half-way and I can`t understand why. That creates a challenge for the next toolpath which is to clear the narrow square slot at the bottom. 

If you have another suggestion how to approach this I`m listening 🙂 I purchased the round nose bit (D:19mm ) for this purpose, to create the slots in one pass as the bit is perfect for what I`m trying to achieve. 

I managed to create this profile using the Trace toolpath and only lines+depth, but I would like to do the same with a 3D model like in the example file. 

(I have a Yeti Smartbench if that helps)

Br, 

Pål

Message 4 of 12
seth.madore

I would actually recommend using Trace (a line down the center). You can also specify Multiple Depths of cut, so it's pretty straightforward

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 12
HughesTooling

@pfigen  Your problem is the cutter and slot are exactly the same size. You can get it to work if you set the stock to leave to -0.01mm.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
HughesTooling

@pfigen  There are also problems with your design.

If I select this surface is shows a different size compared to your sketch. Only small and in the real world not worth worrying about but it points to a problem in the design.

HughesTooling_0-1688631652467.png

None of your sketches are fully constrained which is a bad sign! Your sketch for this feature is not constrained in a reliable way. You can see the arc is not constrained because of the combination of constraint you've used.

HughesTooling_1-1688631870905.png

In the attached file I've simplified and fully constrained. Note the red padlock on the sketches showing fully constrained.

HughesTooling_2-1688632167905.png

Your next mistake is using sketch patterns. Patterning features\faces is far more efficient than patterning sketch geometry. You should always try keeping sketches as simple as possible!

So create one cutout and pattern the cut.

HughesTooling_3-1688632337118.png

For the lugs on the ends, don't sketch fillets, keep the sketch simple and fillet the body. In sketch1 you had lines on to of lines and the fillet. I simplified it and made sure it's fully constrained. You'll notice my design uses only 9 features rather than 12 in yours.

HughesTooling_4-1688632460538.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
HughesTooling

@pfigen Next more on CAM. Another problem is you're trying to use a 1/8 cutter in a 1/8 slot with a pocketing op. For this I'd just use 2d contour and just select one edge. @seth.madore Always though slot should work for something like this but it doesn't seem to work well with open pockets? Am I missing something or could it be improved to machine out past the edge of the open slot?

Checkout the attached file. Up to you to set how many stepdowns you need.

HughesTooling_0-1688633574457.png

Again in the manufacture workspace consider using patterns. Only need to setup one of the features inside a pattern.

HughesTooling_1-1688633708279.png

HughesTooling_2-1688633915492.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling regarding open slots and using the slot tool; Slot is looking for a closed contour, so no amount of Tangential Extension is going to apply here. Is there room for improvement? Possibly. I suppose it would depend on the amount of use Slot actually gets, we'd have to take a look at analytics. A similar question came up a month or so ago, so the need is greater than zero.

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 12
HughesTooling

I need to machine open ended slots quite often and tried using slot to find it doesn't work so I think it might get used more often if it did! Usually too busy to come here and ask about it so just worked around it not giving me a useful toolpath.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
seth.madore

I've opened up CAM-46679 to explore the possibility of permitting "fully open" chains.

Tagging @FrodoLoggins as he was asking about this a few weeks ago as well.

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 12
HughesTooling

@seth.madore Thanks. Another time where this would be useful is for the guitar makers creating frets. They've normally modeled a slot through the neck so being able to machine along the centre of the slot out to the edge of the stock would be useful. Guess you'd want some sort of tangenal extension.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: HughesTooling

True, but the bottom of a fret is typically curved (due to nature of modeling), so Trace typically is the solution for that feature 🤔

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report