Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! with 2D cutting profile Contours...

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
andyWEWEL
205 Views, 4 Replies

Help! with 2D cutting profile Contours...

I'm hopelessly stuck on this, and have sunk way too much time trying to figure it out.  In my welding class we were taught how to make family name signs with TorchMate.  At home however I have a CNC plasma cutter that I've built.  I've successfully cut things I've designed in Fusion 360, but the name sign thing is just not working...

When I try to select the Contours in the 2d cutting setup, all I can get it to select are line segments on the profile.  I've checked a dozen times looking for a loop that isn't closed and I can't see anything.  In the design I have no white point markers.  I can't spend hours trying to select every line segment in the contour selection - I'd surely miss one, and Fusion 360 starts to freak out and stop working right when the number gets too high.

My sign looks like this:

andyWEWEL_0-1677212532299.png

andyWEWEL_1-1677212565421.png

When I try to select the contours on the outside, I can only get the segments:

andyWEWEL_2-1677212706176.png

I can get some of the closed sections to work right, like this, but not the profile:

andyWEWEL_3-1677212863132.png

Any help will be appreciated.  What did I do wrong?  FWIW, if I save this as a .STL file, I could 3d print it (shrunk down) with no problems.  It just can't get Fusion 360 to generate g-code for plasma cutting, because of this issue with the contour selection.

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: andyWEWEL

The issue is in your Setup WCS setting:

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5
engineguy

@andyWEWEL 

Ah, I see that Seth has posted just before me, faster than me 🙂 I will post my version anyway just for your interest 🙂

Family Sign.jpg

Message 4 of 5
andyWEWEL

Thank you so much!  I don't know how I didn't notice that I had the axis wrong, but thank you for the kind and thorough explanation of how to fix it!

Message 5 of 5
andyWEWEL
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank you!  This is very helpful!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report