Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help creating toolpath for a long 3 mm slot using a 3 mm end mill

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
t.g.mandel
142 Views, 5 Replies

Help creating toolpath for a long 3 mm slot using a 3 mm end mill

I have a CNC router with 2.2Kw 24 000 RPM spindle. I am preparing to make a slot in aluminum for a 1/8" gasket. The 3 mm slot will be the same diameter as the cut diameter of my O flute end mill - it only needs to be 2.5 mm deep.  

It is a very long slot, following a rectangular path roughly 400 mm X 250 mm. I am having difficulty choosing appropriate combinations of values for:

1) Passes - maximum roughing stepdown

2) Linking - ramping angle, maximum ramp step down

Currently, when viewing the simulations for toolpaths I've tried, I seem to keep getting the end mill making two complete rectangular passes at one depth before moving to the next step down. Also, I am either getting a very quick step down over a short distance, or one that makes several rectangular passes that step down gradually. I am using the 'profile' ramp type.

What I would like to have is, for example, the end mill to gradually ramp down to an appropriate depth (perhaps 0.25 mm) during one rectangular pass, then have it make one more rectangular pass at that depth to finish the cut, then ramp down again and repeat (I am thinking this is the most efficient method). If I am correct, how can I accomplish this? Is there a mathematical solution, or just trial and error choosing different combinations of the aforementioned 3 parameters until I find one that gives me the result I want?

I am new to machining and F360 CAM, so if I my assumptions are off please don't hesitate to correct me. As an aside, I did read the Autodesk descriptions of the slotting toolpath and its parameters, and watched videos I found on the topic, but had a hard time finding examples of machining such a long continuous slot.

tgmandel_0-1680111120302.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
engineguy
in reply to: t.g.mandel

@t.g.mandel 

Way I see there are a couple of ways to do the Groove, in Fusion terminology that is a Groove and can be done easiest using the 2D Contour toolpath, just FYI.

To get the toolpath to go to a set depth and then continue at that depth till it has completed the distance you can set the Ramping under the "Linking" tab and set your maximum depth under the "Passes" tab to your 0.25mm, if using the default 2 degrees ramp angle the tool will gradually angle downwards till it reaches the desired 0.25 depth and then continue at that depth until it gets back to the start again, it will then repeat the 0.25 DOC until the bottom is reached.

Second way would be to not set a maximum depth under the "Passes" tab and then the toolpath will just continue to ramp at the desired angle and when it reaches the first -0.25 DOC it will simply continue to ramp down again and again till it reaches the bottom where it will run at the last depth all the way to the end.

I think the first way is what you are maybe thinking of and would work fine, the second way keeps the tool in "constant engagement" so the load on the tool doesn`t change, this is usually a better option for the tool but is up to you which you prefer based on your machine/material/tool etc, etc.

See attached example file, run the Simulation and select the "Info" tab and you will be able to see the difference in the two example toolpaths, these are only examples, down to you to use the appropriate speeds/feeds/toolpath angle etc, etc.

Message 3 of 6
t.g.mandel
in reply to: engineguy

Thank you for taking the time to provide the explanation and examples. I opened your tool paths and ran the simulations - they are what I was looking to do. I remember first trying to use the contour for this 'groove' but had difficulty assigning geometry that would work. I tried again just now and can't get it to cut just the 3mm groove with my 3 mm end mill. I thought maybe it didn't like that the grove and end mill had the same diameter, but you got it to work. I think I need help defining the contour.

tgmandel_0-1680124516509.png

Message 4 of 6
engineguy
in reply to: t.g.mandel

@t.g.mandel 

To use the 2D Contour toolpath under the "Geometry" tab I selected the outer bottom edge of the groove and the "Left"  compensation under the "Passes" tab. Hope this helps 🙂

RAMPING EXAMPLE.jpg

Message 5 of 6
t.g.mandel

Thank you for your continued help. I believe I had done these two things.

tgmandel_0-1680127375851.png

Message 6 of 6
t.g.mandel

I think I found the problem, I had accidently also checked roughing passes. I will experiment now with finetuning a few of these contour paths - ramp and multiple step down. Thank you again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report