Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having Trouble with File size for my Machine (Mazak VTC-20)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
MachinistJoe
126 Views, 4 Replies

Having Trouble with File size for my Machine (Mazak VTC-20)

I am running an older machine and am running into issues with any file over about 300kb. we are getting more and more profiles that are increasingly more intricate. My controller (Mazatrol 640) is constantly shutting down when I try to run bigger toolpath files. 

Is there something I can do to "dumb" down the toolpath and still get the same result. I have increased depth of cut, tried different toolpaths and even broken the part up into smaller sections. I am currently using the 3D Contour toolpath for the roughing of the inner pockets on this part, but finishing with the same is what's giving me the problem.

Thank You for your help in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: MachinistJoe

If you turn on points you can see that there are alot of lines of code generated by the toolpath(every point is a line)

Screenshot 2023-12-21 055756.png

If we turn on smoothing

alaasW8M6T_0-1703091512523.png

it changes to this:

alaasW8M6T_1-1703091568587.png

Which is 258KB vs 1.1MB

Message 3 of 5
MachinistJoe
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Thank You for getting back so soon. If I increase the tolerance in Smoothing will it cut it down more?

Message 4 of 5
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: MachinistJoe

It can in some cases but eventually it will have diminishing returns and you lose accuracy

In the Case of the 3D contour toolpath it does very well with arc fitting using the standard smoothing tolerance. increasing the smoothing tolerance has basically no effect.

on other 3d toolpaths increasing the tolerance can reduce the code size more like on Adaptive especially.

Message 5 of 5
MachinistJoe
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Thank You again for your help! 

Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report