Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble setting up a 2D chamfer with multiple passes.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
chrisQX8DX
214 Views, 5 Replies

Having trouble setting up a 2D chamfer with multiple passes.

hey everyone ...

so unfortunately my machine has a really weak spindle and also i'm cutting materials that tend to tear out and burr a lot. So ideally when chamfering a hole for a screwhead i would love to be able to cut in several passes. I haven't figured out how to approach this. Granted that for this small holes i could just use a drill operation using a chamfer mill but i also want to chamfer edges and other features so knowing how to do this would come in handy 😊

Could someone maybe give me some pointers, i tried searching the forum and youtube but couldn't really find anything usefull.

Here's a demo file with the manufâcturing space all set up:

==================================================
GENERAL DISCLAIMER: if there isn't a file attached to my posts then there is a reason for it. Whenever needed or whenever i can i will attach a file for troubleshooting. If no file is attached i will always try to explain as clearly as possible and if needed or helpfull provide illustrative screenshots. When i have an issue that can only be helped by attaching a file which i cannot share publicly i won't ask about it here.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
weber_dominic
in reply to: chrisQX8DX

You can adjust the end height by the desired step with a duplicated toolpath

Message 3 of 6
leo.castellon

This is one of those things that I wish Fusion offered, multiple depth passes on chamfer. Sure, we can duplicate the path and have the previous pass leave a small amount for the last pass to finish it, but this is silly. When chamfering harder materials, like SS and titanium, having the ability to have multiple depth passes would be greatly appreciated to lessen the wear on our cutters. And you could also say, well, if you want to have multiple depth passes, then use contour and if you are using a chamfer mill or spot drill, then you get the option to have multiple depths, even a radial finish pass, well then, how come 2d chamfer doesn't have these options. The algorithms must exist as they are present in contour, so just add them to 2d chamfer, and if you can't add these options, then just get rid of 2d chamfer all together, IMO.

LeoC

Message 4 of 6
chrisQX8DX

hey sorry for the late reply ... the forum software wouldn't let me post yesterday for some reason.

@weber_dominicthx for this, i kinda knew i could do this by duplicating toolpaths .. i thought there was a way to set up multiple passes in one operation because as @leo.castellon said it's a bit silly not to have this option esepcially if you are working with harder materials and/or like me have a weak spindle who just can't handle a one pass.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER: if there isn't a file attached to my posts then there is a reason for it. Whenever needed or whenever i can i will attach a file for troubleshooting. If no file is attached i will always try to explain as clearly as possible and if needed or helpfull provide illustrative screenshots. When i have an issue that can only be helped by attaching a file which i cannot share publicly i won't ask about it here.
Message 5 of 6
seth.madore

We do have a task opened to investigate the feasibility of adding multiple depths to chamfer, and you're not alone in thinking this should be an option (it really should be). CAM-34654 is the task, and I've added this thread to the ticket.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 6
chrisQX8DX

thx @seth.madore that's great to hear 😋

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums