Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having problems getting Rest Machining to work if I have Stock To Leave selected.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
kentdesautel
105 Views, 3 Replies

Having problems getting Rest Machining to work if I have Stock To Leave selected.

I'm trying to use the Rest Machining feature and I am getting empty tool paths for my 3rd operation in this drawing, and the only way I can get it to create a tool path is if I unselect the "stock to Leave"

If at all possible I would like to use the "stock to leave"

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just a foot note, on the 2nd and 3rd operations I only selected one section of the model for this test. ( if you go into the geometry section in manufacturing you can see which area I selected )

Here is a link to the test model

(https://a360.co/462sZrQ

Thanks in advance...

Kent

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Ringarn67
in reply to: kentdesautel

In setup "Model" is selected as "Stock"!
That means there is nothing to leave when "Rest Machining", "From previous operation(s)" is selected, part is already "done".

What does the stock looks like, in reality?
Message 3 of 4
kentdesautel
in reply to: Ringarn67

Thank You very much for your help on this....

Your suggestion fixed the problem.

To answer your question... the stock was a rectangle 2.50" wide x 14" Long x 1" thick.

One follow up question if I may...

Is there a rule of thumb value for the "Ignore Stock Less Than" field?

On my roughing passes I typically have my "stock to leave" set at .004 inch

So I was planning to use a value of .01 inch for the "ignore stock less than" field. ( is this in the ball park? )

Thanks again for your help.... this is going to drop significant machining time off my operations.

Kent

Message 4 of 4
Ringarn67
in reply to: kentdesautel

@kentdesautel wrote:

One follow up question if I may...

Is there a rule of thumb value for the "Ignore Stock Less Than" field?

On my roughing passes I typically have my "stock to leave" set at .004 inch

So I was planning to use a value of .01 inch for the "ignore stock less than" field. ( is this in the ball park? )

Thanks again for your help.... this is going to drop significant machining time off my operations.

Kent

As far as I understand it, if "Stock to Leave" is set at .004, and "Ignore Stock Less Than" is .01, there might be up to .01 Stock left after, in this case, "Pass 3".

That is how I understand it, so I have same value in stock to leave and ignore stock less than.

Better safe than sorry

Is it possible to skip the "cone" and the "egg" in "Pass 3" and just cut the small passage between them?

Seems to be the only stock that is left.

Glad it helped 👍

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report