Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Groove suppression in Turning profile finishing doesn't work on some grooves

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
sdonaldUYSNK
224 Views, 7 Replies

Groove suppression in Turning profile finishing doesn't work on some grooves

I have a part that has 4 OD grooves, some of the cylinders in between the grooves are tapered both big to small and small to big, so I need radial grooving allowed to be turned on. When I select the surfaces for all 4 grooves, all but one gets suppressed. If I select the surfaces only for the groove that doesn't suppress, then it suppresses. I even tried a sketched profile, and it skips over some of the middle OD. Help!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: sdonaldUYSNK

Hmm, that's not good. Could you share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
sdonaldUYSNK

File attached.

Message 4 of 8
sdonaldUYSNK
in reply to: seth.madore

File attached

Message 5 of 8
seth.madore

When using a Sketch to drive the toolpath, the reason it's skipping the middle section is because your Outer Diameter is set to Model OD with no additional offset. Adding in even a small offset (.02" for example) will give you a complete toolpath across the OD.

As for the Groove Suppression, this looks like a flaw in the algorithm, I'll get a ticket opened to investigate it.

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 8
sdonaldUYSNK

Thanks, I forget about the model od thing because most of the time it works just fine. Sketch works now. Groove suppression does not. By the way, Groove suppression will not work at all, (error, turn on spun profile) unless you have the new spun profile algorithm turned on in preview. I have had trouble with the new spun profile with simple parts. I created a ticket and turned in the file.

Message 7 of 8
sdonaldUYSNK
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks, I forget about the model od thing because most of the time it works just fine. Sketch works now. Groove suppression does not. By the way, Groove suppression will not work at all, (error, turn on spun profile) unless you have the new spun profile algorithm turned on in preview. I have had trouble with the new spun profile with simple parts. I created a ticket and turned in the file.

Message 8 of 8
seth.madore

Yes, the Groove Suppression does require the New Spun Profile to be turned on, this is "as designed".

I've opened up CAM-46651 to investigate the Groove Suppression issue, thanks for raising it with us!

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report