Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G Code showing too many coordinates

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
charizards
627 Views, 21 Replies

G Code showing too many coordinates

Hi,

I'm new to fusion 360 and have a 7 sided shape that I would like to machine out using 2D contour mode. I'm expecting just 8 different coordinates for the G Code but I'm left with a 242 line long code. What setting am I missing here?

I've been using CATIA and the same settings and it's giving me the set of coordinates that I want. 

Preview of code:

adindaasmoroFB53C_0-1689690870864.png

Many thanks 

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
seth.madore
in reply to: charizards

Hmm. Is the contour comprised of splines?

Any chance you could share your file?
To share your file:
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 22
DarthBane55

your arc is in 3d, meaning it is not planar flat.  So it interprets your arc as a 3d contour, then it becomes point to point.

To remedy that, if you have 1 side of this arc that is planar, pick that one.  If not, you need to make a sketch and make a 2d arc on a plane.  You can slice the model somewhere in the middle where it is solid, it will then become flat.

Coming from Catia to Fusion...  ****, life is tough man!!  good luck!

EDIT: sorry Seth, I was typing when you answered so I didn't see your answer until after I sent mine.

EDIT 2:  too funny, the word "d_a_m_n" is banned it seems!  lol

Message 4 of 22
charizards
in reply to: seth.madore

It's all angular so I don't think there should be any splines

Edit: Deleted model file

Message 5 of 22
charizards
in reply to: DarthBane55

Hi Darth Bane

Thanks for the reply

There aren't any arcs in my model that I know of. See below for attached file. 

Message 6 of 22
seth.madore

Hmm, looks like a pretty simple operation. What post processor are you using? (it's not clear in your NC Program)

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 22
charizards

I'm just using the Autodesk Generic XY one that I've slightly modified. I've tried using other posts and still get the same set of coordinates. 

Message 8 of 22
seth.madore

Can you share that post processor here? The only point-to-point code I'm getting is for the vertical lead-in/out radii. Turning those off gets me this:

redacted
M9

There's still room for improvement 🤔

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 22
seth.madore

Slightly increasing my lead-in/out arc to 1mm ends up with code as such:

redacted

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 22
DarthBane55

I saw the 3d lead-in, but was really puzzled by the 2d leadout which is point to point.  There is a size limit to get an arc?  Oh, isn't that set in the post?

Also, the 2nd profile was not chained, need to chain the 3 into 1 single chain.  Altho that did not affect the result, but I think it's by luck.

Message 11 of 22
charizards

Sure, I've attached it to this post. Is the way I've been sketching the model wrong by any chance? I've just sketched onto the xy plane and extruded so it shouldn't have any angles and should be quite straight forward. 

Message 12 of 22
seth.madore

What is your actual machine and control? The XY post is outputting a CSV file and it's....interesting, to say the least

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 22
DarthBane55

@charizards wrote:

Is the way I've been sketching the model wrong by any chance? I've just sketched onto the xy plane and extruded so it shouldn't have any angles and should be quite straight forward. 

Nothing wrong at all, it has to do with the size of the arc on the lead-out.  I'll let Seth figure out if that is a setting in the post, but I think there is a "min and max arc" setting somewhere.  That lead-out is really small...

Probably something to do with these values:

1.png

Message 14 of 22
charizards

Redacted

Message 15 of 22
seth.madore

What is the actual machine and the control?

Seth Madore
Message 16 of 22
charizards

It's henri line gica mill 29 HS5 with Siemens Sinumeric 840D CNC Control

Edit: Put in the wrong control

Message 17 of 22
seth.madore

The Sinumerik 840D post gives me this for code:

(redacted)

Of course, that's after removing the vertical lead-in radii and increasing the lead-in/out radius to 1mm

Seth Madore
Message 18 of 22
charizards

Thank you so much! I'm looking at sample codes that are on the machine and it doesn't have G0 or G1 before the coordinates. Is there a setting I can change to have it similar to this? Or will that code run fine?

Edit: Deleted image

Message 19 of 22
seth.madore

G0 and G1 are "Modal", they remain activated until a Reset, M30 (program end) or power cycle. In your image above, there's a G1 at the beginning and a G0 at the end.

Seth Madore
Message 20 of 22
charizards

I see now. Thanks!

Could you delete or modify the G Code in your replies please? I don't want the shape available to the public. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report