Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion360 cam tool depth vastly different between sim and operation.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
axiomg3
240 Views, 9 Replies

Fusion360 cam tool depth vastly different between sim and operation.

I am machining a side plate for an antique fishing reel that cracked. The Cad drawing has top and bottom machining. The top portion milled perfectly from the test material (MDF). The next operation was to drill the bolt holes into a piece of sacrificial wood from the bottom perspective. This would allow me to use these as indexes with pins to locate the back side of the reel. This part worked great and the mdf block located great. The holes were the correct depth and placement. When I began the machining operations, (just like all other parts of this project) the tool zero was set to the top of the sacrificial wood (under the part). When I began the 2d facing operation it was supposed to clear .6 mm from the stock bottom (now facing up). The simulations were as expected, but the actual tool path went to 4.1 of depth and began clearing.

I have reset the tool zero several times, checked the model/box origin (fixed box) and even tried changing the origin to different places, but to the same result.  I am new to cad/cam so the solution is probably very obvious, but any help would be very appreciated. I can post pictures of the cad/cam and milled part if that would help.

Thanks,

Jer

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
seth.madore
in reply to: axiomg3

Please share the following info:
Fusion file

Post processor used

Posted NC code

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 10
nick.narzinski

what Z depth does your code show?

Message 4 of 10
axiomg3
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank you for replying. Here are the NC files for the back side of the reel plate. I am using candle for interpretation of the G code/grbl machine control.  I will look into how to share the Fusion 360 file. stand by for that.

thanks,

Jer

Message 5 of 10
axiomg3
in reply to: nick.narzinski

Forgive me, I'm a bit new. So, are you talking about in the drawing itself or the box?

Message 6 of 10
axiomg3
in reply to: seth.madore

https://a360.co/3Lu5gdu

will this work?

Message 7 of 10
nick.narzinski

i can't open that in fusion.  ideally, go to file > export, and upload the file.

Message 8 of 10
axiomg3

here we go.. thanks,

Message 9 of 10
nick.narzinski

Code looks correct to me for your setup.  see pics attached.  i would recommend double checking your tool lengths and work offset in the controller.

Message 10 of 10
axiomg3

OK I give that a shot. I will let you know. I will do some reading on setting the work offset. Thank you for your time.

Jer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums