Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion's been generating toolpaths with a lot more points than normal recently

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
FrodoLoggins
227 Views, 10 Replies

Fusion's been generating toolpaths with a lot more points than normal recently

Here's a 2d contour along a corner radius on a part completely made in Fusion:

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 8.53.51 AM.png

Bunch of points.

Previously with that amount of smoothing one would normally only be able to see 2 like so:

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 8.53.51 AM.png

I also noticed an issue with a 2d contour that had only one pass. I had finish smoothing enabled but not the smoothing tolerance lower down in the Passes tab. But smoothing would only actually be applied if I had enabled both smoothing settings.

Previously I could leave the lower smoothing tolerance disabled. Just enabling the topmost finish smoothing setting would smooth the contour's single finishing pass previously.

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
DarthBane55
in reply to: FrodoLoggins

So this radius... is actually a spline?  cause if it's a true radius (measure the actual curve and see if it reports a radius size) smoothing has zero effect, a radius is a radius, it output it with a G02 or G03 in 1 line as a radius (with 2d contour).  I'm curious to see if this is an actual radius or not.

Message 3 of 11
seth.madore

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 11
FrodoLoggins
in reply to: seth.madore

File attached.

Radius highlighted in blue created with the fillet tool:

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 9.35.44 AM.png

Afterwards I added this chamfer with the chamfer tool:

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 9.33.28 AM.png

Then moved the faces highlighted in blue below a few thou in the direction shown with the move/copy tool:

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 9.34.20 AM.png

- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Message 5 of 11

If you select the edge it does not show as a fillet. Not sure why but Fusion doesn't seem to create a cone on the corner.

HughesTooling_0-1702652034872.png

If you use a 0.074 chamfer so there's still a small radius at the point of the cone it will work without smoothing enabled.

HughesTooling_0-1702651774428.png

This is more a bug in the modeling workspace than a CAM bug. Although you'd think you could smooth to an arc. Normally you can smooth external splines if you use a very tight tolerance and a bigger smoothing tolerance but I couldn't get that to work here..

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 11

Hmm. The face and top edge come up as a radius:

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 10.06.14 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-15 at 10.07.09 AM.png

But the top edge also gives a length value.

If anyone wants to move this to another forum section feel free.

Message 7 of 11
seth.madore

It would have been helpful to have a timeline enabled so we could retrace your steps...

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 8 of 11
HughesTooling
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore If you enable the timeline you can use the simplify tools to delete the straight sides of the chamfer. If you then recreate the chamfer with a 0.0749 size you get an arc for the edge but as soon as you go to .075 it becomes a spline. I guess Fusion doesn't like the singularity generated when the chamfer matches the corner fillet. Although the modeling kernel should probably treat this as a special case and create a cone.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11

That file hurt my head. I should not of opened that up on a Friday afternoon. WOAH.

Message 10 of 11

Why's that?

Message 11 of 11

There's a lot going on in this one file. I usually separate things with multiple files so I can concentrate on one thing at a time. Your labeling system isn't that easy to follow too, which is fine if you're the only person using the file. Hats off too you if you're able to keep track of everything you've got going on in this one file though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report