Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion changing diameter of tapered cutter

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
cnehr11
320 Views, 8 Replies

Fusion changing diameter of tapered cutter

I'm trying to create a finishing pass with a 1mm tapered ball end, but fusion keeps changing the geometry of the cutter to 12mm. I've used this tool many times without issue. Now this. Any ideas on troubleshooting would be much appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: cnehr11

Please share a file that is showing this issue, or describe the steps needed to replicate 🙂

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 9
cnehr11
in reply to: seth.madore

Here is an example of the problem I am having. The tool selected is supposed to be a tapered ball nose with a 1mm tip. fusion has changed it to 12mm. 

Message 4 of 9
spsather

I am having the same issue with a 1/16 dia tapered ball bit.  It seems like there is an error somewhere and diameter reverts to the 12 mm default value after one closes the tool library.  I managed to get it to stop doing this by selecting the "bull-nose" type instead of the "ball".  I am guessing that the circular radius at the tip extends only up to where it becomes tangent to the taper so there is really no easily defined diameter.  If anyone can refer me to a sketch showing the difference between  ball and bullnose geometry used in fusion that would be helpful.  

Message 5 of 9
seth.madore

This is certainly a bug, I've logged CAM-44401 to investigate this issue

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 9
adamhutz

I'm having a similar issue with tapered BEM creation, whether I'm selecting bull or ball nose. The "geometry > diameter" parameter doesn't have any effect on the graphical representation or toolpathing, and I can't get it any smaller than whatever the default is generating. I'll submit a bug report too, just posting this in the spirit of corroboration. 

Message 7 of 9
seth.madore

Am I missing something in my workflow?

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 9
spsather

I don't think you are missing anything I was also able to create the right bit profile using the "bull-nose" configuration and complete the right toolpath.  This profile selection isn't very intuitive since the bit is labelled as a "ball" nose bit.  In the case of a tapered bit there really is no need for a diameter parameter since the radius will become tangent to the taper before it reaches this imaginary diameter value as shown below.  

spsather_0-1681394147533.png

Message 9 of 9
adamhutz
in reply to: spsather

I switched to "Bull nose" as suggested above and nothing updated immediately, but when I changed the taper angle to a new number the bit updated graphically for me and now all is well! Thanks all for this thread.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report