Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 Turning toolpaths always return to center before leadout

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Eric_Evans_a_GiroDisc_com
635 Views, 10 Replies

Fusion 360 Turning toolpaths always return to center before leadout

I've noticed this on a few different toolpaths, but this is the worst offender yet and prompted my investigation.

Why do toolpaths finish a cut and then return to the center before leading out, instead of leading out from the last cut?

It wastes time, and with G96 on it ramps the spindle up unnecessarily.

It also might be causing the warning about crossing the centerline, not sure about that though...

Is there a way to control what point the retract moves are started from?

This path starts cutting from a hole drilled in the center, plunging axially and stepping out radially.  When it gets to the outside edge of the part it moves back to center (bold yellow line) before retracting to the safe Z.  Is there a way to retract to the safe Z from the outside edge of the part?

turning_screenshot.png

Labels (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Agreed this needs work. It is even annoying that it comes into the cut from center which always scares me that my tool is gonna crash and then it moves out to the first pass. It should start and end at the first and last pass diameter and not return to zero to move. 

Message 3 of 11

They already have inner and outer radius boundaries, seems like those should drive the lead in/out positions.  I can see the need if there was a groove or undercut feature, but that seems like a lead out to center or adjustable lead in/outs as they do in milling would be able to solve that.

I don't do much lathe programming in Fusion because it is so clumsy, I really want templates and automated programming to work but its embarrassing how much more control is available using 2D sketches in MasterCAM...

Message 4 of 11
engineguy
in reply to: turbobug64

@turbobug64 

If you are doing an inner profile as in the images below then if the hole in the middle is 10mm and you want to start at a point that is 1mm inside hole and not in the center of it then set a clearance of 9mm so the back of the tool should be well clear !

Is this what you are saying you don`t have ??

Lathe Inner Clearance.jpg

Lathe Inner Clearance-1.jpg

Message 5 of 11

It starts by moving over (in X) to the edge of the predrilled hole (in this case it is 1" from centerline for a 2" hole) and then plunges (in Z), it then steps over (in X) and plunges (in Z) several times until it reaches the outside edge of the part.  Everything looks good, the cutting is all finished now, this is where is should move to the Z clearance plane for the next operation to begin...

Instead it does a totally unnecessary move where it links back (in X) to the center of the hole, before moving to the Z clearance.

I could delete the X move in the code, but I have 100's of parts in this family that could use this template, and I may not be the only person using it so I really don't want to rely on manual editing.

Message 6 of 11

@Eric_Evans_a_GiroDisc_com Currently there's no way to control the X coordinate at which the tool approaches and retracts in turning (other than for the parting operation). This feature is on our roadmap though and I will up the priority on it.

Regards,

Akash Kamoolkar

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager
Message 7 of 11

This seems like a very basic feature I'm surprised its lagging behind some of the more advanced programming functionality like sub spindle chucking and adaptive turning.
Really glad to know it's going to be getting some attention in future releases.
Message 8 of 11
coynatha
in reply to: akash.kamoolkar

Any updates on this?  

Message 10 of 11

@CreativeEngineer 

Clearance is still always at or below the inner radius, when I'm roughing from a 2" starting hole out to 10" diameter it will step its way out 2", 2.2", 2.4", etc... to the 10" diameter, but then return to 2" for the lead out.

The inverse is true for OD roughing; it will work its way from 11" down to 10", but then return to 11" for the lead out.

Adds up to A LOT of wasted X feed moves/time.

Message 11 of 11

we have a project to allow users to set approach and retract X and it is on our short term roadmap.

Regards,

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report