Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 Manufacture to UGS

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
903 Views, 16 Replies

Fusion 360 Manufacture to UGS

I am trying to import my processed design from fusion into UGS, but the dimensions/location of the stock and model are all wrong once it's uploaded. I am trying to machine about a 3"x3" piece out of the bottom right corner of a 2'x2'(also the size of my CNC bed) sheet of aluminum. When I import the gcode into UGS, the whole workspace is centered around the model and not the stock. I'm using a Demon CNC Controller and using the grbl processor in Fusion. It follows the toolpath just fine, I just can't seem to figure out how to get the stock/model to be in the right location on my bed.

Tags (5)
Labels (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
seth.madore
in reply to: Anonymous

Where do you have the WCS set in the Fusion file? Can you share your Fusion file?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: seth.madore

https://a360.co/3iSYRKu 

It would be "Setup 2" ignore the first one

Message 4 of 17
seth.madore

Okay, thanks. Since you're on a Personal User account, I'm not able to download and view the file, but the web viewer does show me what I need to know; you have your WCS set to the center of the part. If you want it set to the bottom left of the stock, you need to explicitly set it there in your Setup

2021-08-16_13h39_53.png

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

I tried that and it's still giving me issues. The machine is zeroed at the wcs origin but it isn't in the right location in UGS.image2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

Message 6 of 17
seth.madore

With the Z axis raised above the part, what does it try to do? Can you share your g-code file?

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

That did not help. It isn't letting me import my .nc file. The file type is unsupported

Message 8 of 17
seth.madore

You will need to attach it to the Quick Reply option which is at the bottom of each thread, not the actual "Reply" button on each reply. The forums are being rather incompetent lately, rather embarrassing, if I may say so..

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

no worries!

Message 10 of 17
seth.madore

Hmm. With the tool lifted well above the part, what happens when you try to run the program?

Here is what I'm seeing in the backplotter:

2021-08-17_07h15_55.png

Note the location of the WCS triad, which is on the bottom right side of the part. Does this line up with your axis of travel? As it sits on your machine, which direction is X and Y? Are they both positive or negative values, or one of each?

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

With the tool lifted it will run the toolpaths perfectly, just not in the right location but all of the dimensions are correct. The axis of travel both in fusion and my machine are correct. 

Message 12 of 17
seth.madore

You say "not in the right location", but that doesn't tell me if it's left/right, up/down....

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

I think our issue has been resolved for now. Thank you for your help! I'll reply back to this thread if it comes up again.

Message 14 of 17
seth.madore

How was it solved, should someone else run into the same issue?

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

The process of returning to home and zeroing the machine was a little particular in the specific order you had to do each step for it to work. Say if your spindle was not pre returned to home, when you uploaded your gcode it centered the entire workspace around the spindle location thus throwing the location of the design off. So, I needed to make sure the spindle was home, then upload my piece with the correct WCS placement, and then jog the spindle to where I would like the machining to start. Then I zero the spindle to that location and the WCS origin of the design snaps to my zero, allowing me to run my gcode in my desired location. Hope that makes sense.

Message 16 of 17
seth.madore

It does, thanks for the added clarity

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 17
programming2C78B

it sounds like the OP was using machine 0 to cut all the parts and now realizing you have to 0 out the g54 before sending code.

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report