Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 crash with 3D Milling on unfolded sheet metal

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mjpdougherty
117 Views, 5 Replies

Fusion 360 crash with 3D Milling on unfolded sheet metal

Doing my first sheet metal design.  Everything worked well until I tried to used 3D Milling to sharpen my interior corners.

I am milling the sheet metal.  2D operations simulate as expected.  I have some 90 degree corners on lettering and I wanted to make them sharper, but I did not want to do a contour of the entire part, so I tried 3D Adaptive, and tried 3D Pocket Clearing with rest machining turned on.  Whenever I setup either of these operations, Fusion 360 crashes and generates an error report.  

My impression is 3D operations do not work on sheet metal designs, but if that is true, a more elegant failure mode would be good to have.

Thanks for looking at this.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
seth.madore
in reply to: mjpdougherty

Would you be able to share a sample file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 6
mjpdougherty

Here you go.  Thanks

Message 4 of 6
seth.madore

Well, here's a 3D Adaptive being calculated with your file, so it does appear that 3D toolpaths do indeed work. Could you give me some steps to replicate the issue?

2024-01-08_15h07_12.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 6
mjpdougherty
in reply to: seth.madore

OK, weird.  So I just duplicated the crash, and then tried changing the process, and avoided the crash.  

Fusion crashed when I did the following:

- Right clicked on SinkCaddy S1 setup and selected new operation 3D milling, Adaptive Clearing

- Then clicked on the Geometry Tab.  

- Crash occurred

No other action required.

Fusion DID NOT crash when I did the following:

- Right clicked on SinkCaddy S1 setup and selected new operation 3D milling, Adaptive Clearing (same as above)

- Clicked OK and DID NOT click on the Geometry Tab.

- Operation seem to generate tool paths and complete.

Fusion DID Crash when I did the following:

- Right Clicked on the Adaptive Clearing operative I created above, and then clicked on the Geometry Tab.

Thanks

Message 6 of 6
mjpdougherty

Seth, were you able to duplicate the crash based on my comments?  

Thanks,
Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report