Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flow: Lead-ins/Lead-outs missing

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
FrodoLoggins
272 Views, 9 Replies

Flow: Lead-ins/Lead-outs missing

When specifying lead in/out values I get lead in/outs as expected:

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 1.06.03 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-04 at 1.06.10 PM.png

But when I just specify horizontal or just vertical lead in/outs I get no leads:

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 1.06.21 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-04 at 1.06.27 PM.png

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

May I ask why you use Flow for everything? I've yet to ever use it, and encounter none of your issues when using Parallel (perfect for this case) or Scallop/geodesic.

Not to say that the program isn't working as it should, but in terms of making things work the first time it doesnt seem like Flow is meant for these things. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 10

I feel like flow is perfect for what he is doing here.  Flow maintains a 3d constant stepover as parallel does the stepover in 2d only, so as it gets steeper, the stepovers get really big and result in rough surface finish.  Scallop also does the stepover in 3d tho, but would get a transition on the face.  Flow is perfectly adapted to this feature.

Toolpath choice is besides the point of the post though, the point being that the lead-in/out don't work as they should (been like that for most 3d paths since day 1 tho).

Message 4 of 10

Hi @FrodoLoggins,

Thanks for feedback. I'm sure that it's a known issue, but I can't find ticket number, so I'll create a new one. I've also made small investigation how it works now.

Leads for Flow contain 2 arcs:

1) Arc in normal direction from surface.

2) Arc from previous arc to vertical direction.

olegtikhomirov_0-1704458103268.png

It uses "Horizontal Lead-In/Out Radius" for both right now.  It looks like "Vertical Lead-In/Out Radius" are just ignored. Names are also confusing as first arc might be horizontal, vertical or something in between depending on selected surface.

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 5 of 10

CAM-50642

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 6 of 10

Any updates to this? I cannot get Flow to Lead Out properly, on this undercut, without scoring the Reamed surface on the way out. There doesn't seem to be a way to actually control the Lead Out. Not able to share file here

Other 3D toolpaths do not have the issue

Allowing more control on Flow Lead Out would make it a pretty powerful undercutting toolpath..

Message 7 of 10

Would you be able to share your Fusion file privately?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply. To share the file privately, it's the same process, but email it to me: seth DOT madore AT autodesk DOT com

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 8 of 10

Hi @dwilliamsFM6K4,

Thanks for feedback. I think you've found a bug, but it not the same problem as in initial post. Could you please try to reduce "Safe disatance" parameter on linking tab?

olegtikhomirov_0-1710421440967.png

I think the problem is that linking can't find position outside of specified Safe distance from surface and doesn't move away at all (causing marks on the surface while retracting). See my screenshots below (Safe distance 1mm, 3mm - OK, 20mm - WRONG).

olegtikhomirov_1-1710421638166.png

olegtikhomirov_2-1710421664573.png

olegtikhomirov_3-1710421689741.png

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 9 of 10

CAM-52381

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 10 of 10

That did work, thank you

Something about the default safety distance being fixed at .08" (2mm) ya wasn't allowing it to retract properly. May be related to the cutter profile being a 300 degree reduced shank Lollipop

Increased it to .125" (3mm+) and it is not not colliding, also duplicated that and did .04" (1mm) and its also working.. LOL so probably some bugginess

While on the subject of Flow, "Both Ways, One Way, Other Way" is pretty hard to parse, I'm not sure if it's just my ability to notice, but if there was an ability to have "Both Ways, Climb, Conventional" as with other 3D toolpaths that would clear a lot up for me, especially with a lot of LH / RH Mirror components where I love to recycle Programmed toolpaths where I can

Any 2D toolpath I have to Manually switch the direction (Climb, or Conventional) or side (Left, Right) in order to get the cutter motion I want when Mirroring across a Plane. There should really be options to account for cut direction when Mirroring across a Plane, so that I don't need to hand edit a significant amount of toolpaths

@seth.madorei did save the file, but it was too large for my organizations email server to handle, and did find a fix anyways thanks for the offer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums