Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Bottom Engraving

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ceasley889
167 Views, 5 Replies

Flat Bottom Engraving

The engrave toolpath needs to be updated where it will machine the entire area out similar to how Vectric does. I am constantly having to find work arounds or hacks on how to do such a simple task. Fusion does pretty much everything else so flawlessly but for some reason cannot get the engraving right...

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Warmingup1953
in reply to: ceasley889

Can you provide an example file?

Message 3 of 6
ceasley889
in reply to: Warmingup1953

Sure! Although it is something that is the same for any engraving in which the removed material is larger than the bit diameter. Ideally we should be able to set the depth of the carve to whatever we like (typically -.05 to -.1 for me) and the bit removes all the material using small stepovers. Hope that is an ok explanation!

Message 4 of 6
Warmingup1953
in reply to: ceasley889

Why not create a 2D Pocket as well as the V Bit engrave?Engrave.jpg

Message 5 of 6
cjeasley
in reply to: Warmingup1953

Sure that's an option. Especially something so simple as the example I provided. But the point of my post wasn't to ask for other option on how to achieve the final result. It was more of a complaint/suggestion to autodesk to update the tool path so I can perform the operation with one bit similar to how Vectric handles their engraving tool path. I'll add that utilizing multiple tool paths aren't always practical either and increase the risk for failure. When it comes to high detailed engravings, a pocket tool path is typically too aggressive compared to the engraving tool path. Sure you can adjust speeds and feeds, overlap, depth of cut, and many other things but why do that when the program can simply be updated. 

Message 6 of 6
Warmingup1953
in reply to: cjeasley

OK understood. But if you just want to avoid the tool change you can simply use the same V bit as the pocketing tool and you can set the path order as desired.S2.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums