Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finishing a flat outside-in

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
davidc7LHC9
243 Views, 10 Replies

Finishing a flat outside-in

Hi everyone,

I work for company that machines model board and we have a problem with cutters chipping corners. If we climb mill outside-in from all edges towards the middle this prevents this but I can't find a way of doing this in any flat machining options. You can using scallop with an endmill but it is obviously more for 3d shapes and I get a few funny results.

Any ideas?

Cheers

David

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: davidc7LHC9

Depending on the geometry, 2D Pocket could get you what you're looking for.

2023-07-27_11h17_00.png

 Would you be able to share your Fusion file here or privately?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply. To share the file privately, it's the same process, but email it to me: seth DOT madore AT autodesk DOT com

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 11
davidc7LHC9

Hi Seth, that looks just what I was trying to do! How did you lead-in on the outside?

Thank you

David

Message 4 of 11
seth.madore

Take a look at a couple options in this file. I've applied a 2D Pocket and then a Flat toolpath. Both will work from the outside to inside

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 11
davidc7LHC9
in reply to: seth.madore

Hi Seth,

Thanks again for your help. That 2D pocket works well for what I want when there is only one outside edge so thank you!

Still having trouble with it, if there is two outside edges which I want to cut into the middle from both sides just like the scallop sequence. I've tried using the scallop even though it's more of a 3D sequence but I've found it doesn't quite cut the whole surface. I've attached a file for you to look at.

This is what I previously used in edgecam which gave good results.

davidc7LHC9_0-1690791393152.png

Message 6 of 11
seth.madore

2D Pocket will still work as you desire. The trick is to not select the FACE, but select an edge:

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 11
HughesTooling

@seth.madore That's not what @davidc7LHC9 is after. It needs to machine in from both the inner and outer edges and meet in the middle of the face. I have the same problem machining graphite. The scallop toolpath is almost there but doesn't work well on the corner islands.

From the picture above from edgeCAM it looks a lot nicer.

HughesTooling_0-1690808641719.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
davidc7LHC9

Hi Mark, thank you for being a bit clearer than me. The model board we cut chips on the edges with slot/endmills unless it is climb milled along the edge from the outside. Where as this program climb mills the inner edge from the inside having milled the outter edge from the outside like we want.

Hope that makes sense?

David

Message 9 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling thanks for pointing out what I missed!

@davidc7LHC9 I think the only way I could solves this is to use two toolpaths:

2023-07-31_09h47_51.png

I created a sketch that lies roughly in between both edges and the used two Pocket toolpaths to work from the outside edge in, with some overlap between the two. Question, though; would it not chip out on the face of the part where the two edges converge?

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 11
HughesTooling

@seth.madore wrote:

@HughesTooling thanks for pointing out what I missed!

@davidc7LHC9 I think the only way I could solves this is to use two toolpaths:

Question, though; would it not chip out on the face of the part where the two edges converge?

Generally I only get a problem with the islands where the last spike breaks off. Using a bullnose cutter helps a lot!

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
davidc7LHC9
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hi Mark, no we just seem to get chipping on the edges. It's only small but just ruins the nice sharp edge. I semi finish jobs with a 10mm ballnose all over to +0.25mm to prevent as much chipping as possible because it is our biggest problem with this sort of material. We have only just transferred over to this software having used edgecam for years and this is the only problem we have come up against. All our jobs are drafted so most of the finishing is done with a ballnose so I think I will slightly overlap the edges onto the flats with the ballnose to finish them upfront before using a endmill to finish the remaining flat.

Thank you both for all your help

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report