Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finish question

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
conjured2018
193 Views, 7 Replies

Finish question

Hi all,

I clear a part with pocket clear leaving .02 material, actual depth is .68 in. I work in wood. I then go to 1/2 in ball end mill and cut a parallel at same depth setting getting good results. I am trying to get ridges out of part and read in fusion suggestions that scallop follows parallel. cut looks like this:

pocket clear at .7 with .02 remain.

parallel at same depth .7

scallop at same depth.  .7

I run scallop at same depth again and cut is very light if at all. I am thinking of setting depth like this.

Pocket clear is .68 with .02 stock remaining.

parallel is same depth

scallop run at .7

would changing fusion recommended .02 stock remain to say .05 or .1 finish better?

any suggestions? I run flat curves and steep curves on steep I use 3d contour and then scallop. thank u.

I will design a part and add soonest. JR

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: conjured2018

One factor you've not shared with us is what tooling you're using. For surfacing (3D finishing toolpaths) you will get best results with a ball mill (rounded or vertical areas) or a bull-nose endmill for the shallower areas and flats.

All roughing should be done with Stock to Leave, both radial and horizontal. The amount can vary, depending on material. In wood, .02 to .05 should be sufficient, but this also depends on the rigidity of the machine. Weak noodle machine that flexes a ton? You may find that roughing toolpath gouge into the finish surface, so I would advise leaving additional material.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8

"I am trying to get ridges out" leads me to think your spindle needs to be trammed or there is a lot of deflection with a flat end mill

or your stepover is too wide. Use 5-8%

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 4 of 8
conjured2018
in reply to: seth.madore

please look at attached model. I did a morph spiral to take a look. this op looks great but lots of time.   why can i not avoid the top surface in all finish apps? It is a defined sketch yet avoid does not take. JR

Message 5 of 8

You can avoid surfaces here.

And you might wanna check the tool containment to go all the way around

Unbenannt.PNG

Message 6 of 8

Thank you, tool containment is set to outside for pocket as Seth told me. and center for finish. I have had finish collisions which I dont like when set to outside.

I want to eliminate the odd up and downs parallel does as shown in your image. JR

Message 7 of 8

Scallop it at max rpm, max feed, with a .02" or so stepover, depending on if your sanding it after the fact. Enable contact boundary to actually surface the entire part. 

using avoid on the FACE of the part works for me! 

programming2C78B_0-1693324369211.png

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 8 of 8

I ran scallop faster than  have ran before and the result is terrific. thank you fellas for helping me.

JR

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report