Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Collisions Stop Stock Simulation When Simulating Valid 3D Pocket Toolpath Using Tapered Mill/V-bit

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
deutirium
251 Views, 4 Replies

Fake Collisions Stop Stock Simulation When Simulating Valid 3D Pocket Toolpath Using Tapered Mill/V-bit

In certain models, using a tapered mill in a 3D Pocket leads to an error mid-simulation (not in the beginning of the toolpath) due to a collision (which as far as I'm aware is fake - there's no gouged material). I have no problem personally ignoring this error except for the fact that it freezes the stock for the remainder of the simulation essentially ruining the remainder of the stock simulation and comparison. Perhaps most notably, I am sometimes able to avoid this freezing issue if I roll back the simulation to a point right before the error, then run the simulation very slowly, the error is not removed but the stock simulation continues as inteded, but further progress might sometimes lead to more errors making this an impractical way to bypassing the issue unless I go through the entire toolpath incredibly slowly.

I am unaware of the specific cause for this issue and I'm not sure of a fool-proof method to reproduce it. The location of the error seems to vary slighly depending on tool and toolpath parameters. For the file I am currently testing, these are most notable parameters, and  I am also willing to share the file if needed.Tool.PNGtool1.PNGtool2.PNGtool3.PNG

Labels (6)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
brekmiller
in reply to: deutirium

Are you getting the "An error occurred during stock calculation" error?  That's not a collision.  I'm aware that the stock-calculation engine sometimes has trouble and becomes unstable with tools that have micron-sized flats on the bottom.  I see your tool has a 200-micron flat.

Perhaps try increasing that.  Or try changing the "Tapered type" to "Ball", possibly with a 0.1mm corner radius.

If that doesn't work, could you attach your project so that I can take a look?

Brek Miller

Software Engineer
Message 3 of 5
deutirium
in reply to: brekmiller

Unfortunately changing the "Tapered type" did not work, and only made the simulation (up the the point of failure) much slower. I cannot change the tool's diameter since that would significantly alter the the toolpath and resulting geometry. Hovering over the red mark on the simulation timeline says "collision 1" however the pop-up that shows up is as you mention "An error occurred during stock calculation". I have attatched the file where you can view this error by simulating the toolpaths with stock enabled.

Message 4 of 5
brekmiller

I was able to reproduce the stock calculation error and can confirm it is a bug.  If you hover over the red mark on the timeline, you will see that it says "Stock Calculation Error" just under "Collision 1".  It labels all the red marks as "Collision", even the ones that aren't.  Fusion doesn't detect gouges yet.

We're working on machine collision checking now and we're changing the way issues are reported.  So this will eventually become less confusing.  Or more confusing -- Fusion is going to be able to detect and report many new types of issues.

I tried playing with the shape of the tool; but I couldn't avoid the error by doing that.  However, I found that the error occurs only when the stock accuracy slider is in the third or fourth position.  If you use the second position, there is no error.  Hopefully you can use that as a workaround for now.  I'll open a ticket for the bug.

err.pngaccuracy.png

Brek Miller

Software Engineer
Message 5 of 5
deutirium

Thank you Brek and sorry for getting back to you so late on this. I'm marking this as an accepted solution.

As of now the problem still persists, but the workaround did indeed work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report