Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facing up to a boundary

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
skiptonsheetmetal
127 Views, 5 Replies

Facing up to a boundary

Morning

I'm having my first try at producing a part using Fusion

I've managed to generate the toolpaths and almost machine what I drew, however I have a problem with the facing operation. I'm trying to machine a step down from some round bar stock to give a flat plane to create the rest of the part. I have drawn a sketch that I wanted to be the boundary for the facing operation, but for some reason it is machining 0.288mm beyond the line (worked that out through the nc post)

What am I missing to create a definitive boundary to not pass the sketch. I ran the operation using the pocket function and that stuck to the boundary no problem.

Any advice?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Is your tolerance or stock to leave set to 0.3mm? I'd use 2D contour for cases like this. Facing doesn't factor in any walls or islands in its calculations. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 6

The stock has no offset or tolerance. All I can think is that the facing operation cuts a bit extra to ensure it cleans up, not ideal when machining to a boundary. I edited the sketch to move the boundary line so it cuts up to the shoulder, but I will try a contour next time.

Message 4 of 6

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 6

File attached

Message 6 of 6

It's interesting that it's violating that wall, but not entirely surprising, considering the Face toolpath is not intended to be used up against shoulders. As a "workaround", I would suggest using the 2D Pocket toolpath, with Both Ways and Multiple Depths turned on:

2023-09-26_07h51_21.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report