Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error on Posting Multi-axis Milling

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
bmxjeff
2978 Views, 18 Replies

Error on Posting Multi-axis Milling

I can not post Simultaneous multi-axis operations right now. The Log is posted below. The error is "Needs to rewind and it's disabled." - It's Not disabled. : ) Obviously, I tried it ever which way. This post has never had issues before. It's always worked.

I downloaded the up-to-date Post Processor, same error. 

Information: Configuration: HAAS 5axis (pre-NGC)
Information: Vendor: Haas Automation
Information: Posting intermediate data to '/Users/hooper/Desktop/1001.nc'
Error: Failed to post process. See below for details.
Start time: Tue Oct 23 14:03:11 2018
Post processor engine: 4.2.1 42089
Configuration path: /Users/hooper/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Autodesk Fusion 360/3Z75MMUXC5EG/W.login/M/D2017012059623881/CAMPosts/haas 5axis.cps
Include paths: /Users/hooper/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Autodesk Fusion 360/3Z75MMUXC5EG/W.login/M/D2017012059623881/CAMPosts
Configuration modification date: Tue Oct 23 13:55:09 2018
Output path: /Users/hooper/Desktop/1001.nc
Checksum of intermediate NC data: 1d9cc71687a92c26c85b53f85d571b63
Checksum of configuration: 384aa3beb576b70bc43c75d4bb07bf49
Vendor url: https://www.haascnc.com
Legal: Copyright (C) 2012-2018 by Autodesk, Inc.
Generated by: Fusion 360 CAM 2.0.4854

###############################################################################
Error: REWIND: Rewind of machine is required for simultaneous multi-axis toolpath and has been disabled.
Error at line: 2471
Error in operation: 'Swarf1'
Failed while processing onLinear5D() for record 599.
###############################################################################

Error: Failed to invoke function 'onRewindMachine'.
Error: Failed to invoke 'onRewindMachine' in the post configuration.
Error: Failed to execute configuration.
Stop time: Tue Oct 23 14:03:11 2018
Post processing failed.

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Hooper Machine and Design
[X] AUTODESK AMATUR ORDINARY
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
bmxjeff
in reply to: bmxjeff

Okay. Found a workaround. If I Unselect "Multiple Passes" in the Swarf op, then it's good. I have to Leave stock and make several ops to do the same thing. Not too bad : )

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Message 3 of 19
LibertyMachine

Good news!.....

It does it in Windows as well 😄

I did try the UMC-750 post and that spits out code no problem. The Pre-NGC Trunnion post fails though....

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 4 of 19
bmxjeff
in reply to: LibertyMachine

Thanks for looking into that! I also tried the UMC-750 post and it worked. So, I thought something had changed in Fusion. But, I've never used that Multi-pass option before.... I changed. 

Thanks again Seth! On to thinking about the CAM Challenge 

@jeff.pek Can this post-processor error be reported? I don't know how that goes. : ) 

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Message 5 of 19
bob.schultz

I can give you the reasons and solutions for the issues you are running into here.  The reason that the "Multiple Passes" causes an error is that the table has to rotate around more times than the built-in limits of the post allows.  Disabling "Multiple Passes" causes less rotary movement during the operation and the table does not exceed its limits.  The C-axis limits are defined in the onOpen function.

var aAxis = createAxis({coordinate:0, table:true, axis:[-1, 0, 0], range:[-30-0.0001, 120+0.0001], preference:1});
var bAxis = createAxis({coordinate:1, table:true, axis:[0, 0, 1], cyclic:false, range:[-360, 360]});

You will also notice that the 'cyclic' parameter is set to 'false', which means that the specified range is the physical limits of the machine.  You can change these numbers to reflect the limits of your machine (on the Haas these are usually the largest number that the control can handle rather than the physical limits of the rotary axis).  The Haas UMC-750 post has larger limits for the B-axis, which is why this post does not generate the same error.

// using 0 instead of -35 to avoid rewind issues
    var bAxis = createAxis({coordinate:1, table:true, axis:[0, 1, 0], range:[0-0.0001, 110+0.0001], preference:1});
    // should be multiple of 360 if rewindCAxisEncoder is enabled
    var cAxis = createAxis({coordinate:2, table:true, axis:[0, 0, 1], cyclic:false, range:[-13320, 13320], preference:0});

The reason for the larger numbers in the UMC-750 post is that it is for a specific machine, while the Trunnion post is generic in nature.

The ability to retract the tool and rewind the rotary axes before re-positioning the tool is disabled by default in the post processor.  You can enable this function by setting the 'performRewinds' variable to 'true' in the post.

// Start of onRewindMachine logic
/***** Be sure to add 'safeRetractDistance' to post properties. *****/
var performRewinds = true; // enables the onRewindMachine logic
var safeRetractFeed = (unit == IN) ? 20 : 500;
var safePlungeFeed = (unit == IN) ? 10 : 250;
var stockAllowance = (unit == IN) ? 0.1 : 2.5;

Though you probably will not need this feature if you increase the limits of the B-axis.

Bob Schultz
Sr. Post Processor Developer

Message 6 of 19
bmxjeff
in reply to: bob.schultz

Thanks for the detailed response! I will check the limits of my machine and make the changes I need to. Your help here will save me much trouble in the future. 

Thanks again for your time on this!

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Message 7 of 19
bmxjeff

@bob.schultz

Hey Bob! That worked. Got 30 rotary passes out of it, and they looked good. Much better than Swarf. Once I figure out how to get that looking good, I'll be on track with Fusion : )

Thanks again!

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Message 8 of 19
kajick

Hello World...

so here I go... 

I used the original post found in the installed folder, tried to post and got an error, found this post online, and changed this part

/***** Be sure to add 'safeRetractDistance' to post properties. *****/
var performRewinds = true; // enables the onRewindMachine logic
var safeRetractFeed = (unit == IN) ? 20 : 500;
var safePlungeFeed = (unit == IN) ? 10 : 250;
var stockAllowance = (unit == IN) ? 0.1 : 2.5;

now its true. OK so I get code out to my editor, and run the NC file on my 750SS .. after a minute of running, error , y axes overtravel range... ok... so I look at the code and find this. 

(REWIND: Tool is retracting due to rotary axes limits.)
N7475 Z0. F500.
N7480 G53 G0 Z0.
N7485 G53 G0 X-736.6 Y-203.2
N7490 C42.973
N7495 X-13.425 Y-31.231
N7500 Z0.
N7505 G1 Z-4.029 F250.
N7510 X-13.149 Y-31.31 B0.435 F752.01
N7515 X-12.867 Y-31.432

when posting I've tried to do G28 instad of G53 / no luck...

downloaded 2 other posts online and same problem, now I'm stuck. 

meanwhile the toolpath is 3d Contour / with multi axis tilting enabled. 

If anyone has any idea whats bothering me please do help. 

Message 9 of 19
bmxjeff
in reply to: kajick

Well, I ran into this again, and turns out I solved it 23 years ago! 

The post processor Haas Trunnion (Pre NGC) still will not allow the Swarf Muti-Pass option in some instances. 

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Message 10 of 19
bmxjeff

I just ran into this again! But this time I had too many rotation.. I had to use the Rewind option. (Instead of just adding more degrees of rotation) Since then, the Post processor has been updated and "Rewind" is no longer a Selectable option. The Post Processor has to be opened and edited to enable Rewind, and a Retract Height set, although It didn't use the Height entered. It just use a G53 Z0.

In other words, your help is still helping!  

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Message 11 of 19
Shawn.C.1981

Hello,

I get the same error on post. Except I do not have a var performRewinds anywhere in my post-processor.

So I looked through the Haas post processor, and the logic seems outside of my comfort zone to risk adding myself. 

Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks

Message 12 of 19
bmxjeff
in reply to: Shawn.C.1981

Shawn,

it’s not difficult. Add link your post processor here, and I’ll edit it. No problem. 

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Message 13 of 19
Shawn.C.1981

here you go. 

Message 14 of 19
bmxjeff

Shawn,

I searched the Post for bAxis... which took me to the section of code below.  

The Brackets with cAxis [0, 0, 1] That mean C rotates around Z.   [x,y,z] 

So, I'm confused to see bAxis rotating around Y & Z with .707107 Because One of them should be a 1 or a 0 [on/off]

The Range is also odd at only [-.5, 180]  

Has this post been edited? 

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.10.26 AM.png

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Message 15 of 19
Shawn.C.1981

My B axis is a nutated table, so it rotates around an axis that is 45 degrees to the x-y plane. At b=180, the table is at 90 degrees. It's....weird. The array is not on/off, but describes a 3 dimensional vector. It could be [0,1,-1], but why change it if it works? 

To answer your question, yes the pp is edited. I got it from some user, and lightly edited to my needs. The edits I made are usually noted with my initials SC. Most of my forum posts are about the pp if you want to look through them. There aren't too many. 

I also changed the lower range of the B-axis to reflect the actual machine limits from 0 last night. In the Fusion360 machine setup, I have those limits in the kinematics section, and thought maybe the pp was catching that as a need to rewind. Looking at it fresh, I realize the cause is the C-axis range. The toolpath is going in many circles. Maybe if I changed it to cut both ways? When I get to my shop tonight, I will experiment with the actual machine limits for the C-axis. 

Thanks again for the help Jeff,

Shawn

Message 16 of 19
Shawn.C.1981

Hi, I'm not sure if I confused matters, but I am still interested in getting the onRewind function added to my post processor, please. 

Message 17 of 19
bob.schultz

Hello @Shawn.C.1981,

I don't know if you have already modified your post, but adding the rewind/reconfigure logic to a post has become much simpler now.  You can copy the following code from the RS-274 Multi-axis post into your post.

var performRewinds = true; // <<< CHANGE TO 'true'

// End of onRewindMachine logic

And add the following commands to onOpen prior to calling setMachineConfiguration (also copied from the RS-274 Multi-axis post).

// retract/reconfigure
  safeRetractDistance = getProperty("safeRetractDistance") != undefined ? getProperty("safeRetractDistance") :
    (typeof safeRetractDistance == "number" ? safeRetractDistance : 0);
  if (machineConfiguration.performRewinds() || (typeof performRewinds == "undefined" ? false : performRewinds)) {
    machineConfiguration.enableMachineRewinds(); // enables the rewind/reconfigure logic
    if (typeof stockExpansion != "undefined") {
      machineConfiguration.setRewindStockExpansion(stockExpansion);
      if (!receivedMachineConfiguration) {
        setMachineConfiguration(machineConfiguration);
      }
    }
  }

You may have to make minor modifications to the code, but it should be close and give you a starting point that we can work from.

Bob Schultz

Message 18 of 19
grunewald-003

what if that section of code isnt in my postprossesor. Where can I insert it?

Message 19 of 19
bob.schultz
in reply to: grunewald-003

Hello @grunewald-003,

What section of code is missing from your post and which post are you using?

Thanks

Bob Schultz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report