Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engrave on a XZC mill turn on a hexagon part.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rajis.kataria
262 Views, 9 Replies

Engrave on a XZC mill turn on a hexagon part.

Hi,

I am trying to engrave some dots/slots on each side of a hexagon part using a round ball burr on my XZC lathe. I have tried wrap tooling but it wont work as my part in not cylindrical. How can I get this to work?

Thanks

Rajis

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
seth.madore
in reply to: rajis.kataria

A Sketch and a Trace toolpath will get you what you're looking for:

2023-03-24_04h04_01.png

I've attached the example for your review 

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 10
rajis.kataria
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks @seth.madore, I had given trace a try but seems like im setting it up incorrectly. Im trying to open the file you attached for review but cant seem to open it.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 09.21.23.png

Message 4 of 10
seth.madore

Oh drat, looks like I may have saved it in a future build. Gimme a sec

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 10
seth.madore

Give this a try. Note; you cannot control the final depth in the Manufacture workspace, you're going to need to adjust the Sketch (I used a Parameter to make it easier)

2023-03-24_04h34_03.png

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 10
rajis.kataria

Thanks @seth.madore for the tips! Only thing left to figure out is how to post process correctly now. it only seems to generate a valid g-code when the face being milled is in line with the x axis assigned in the setup!

Message 7 of 10
seth.madore

Since you're limited without a Y axis, you want to program a single slot that is in line with your X. You can then put it into a Pattern > Rotation to spit out code for the remaining slots

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 10
rajis.kataria

But if i have polar interpolation capability, not having a Y axis shouldn't be limiting in this case. Let's assume the line I want to mill isn't parallel to the z axis, how does one force polar mode in the post processor? I've tried with the with multiple readily available post processors and it always seems to want to use Y.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 12.53.11.png

Message 9 of 10
seth.madore

Oh, you didn't mention that you wanted to do the "X" as well. Yeah....I don't think that's going to be possible with your setup. Do you have a radial holder you can use? If so, you could use "Project" and set your Primary Mode "to Curve"

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 10
rajis.kataria

I've managed to generate the proper code by doing a manual nc command with "useXZCMode". The only problem is the trace method is very limiting. I've tried figuring out the "Project" with primary mode "to curve" but cant seem to get that to work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report