Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engrave is acting like trace

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
mreitz_dmu
383 Views, 17 Replies

Engrave is acting like trace

I am trying to engrave some text and simple diamond shapes. For some reason it is tracing the outline rather than cutting from the center (and "filling" the text) as I thought engrave was supposed to do. Strangely it worked properly on a different project, though I used a different font. Any ideas on a fix? Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
seth.madore
in reply to: mreitz_dmu

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 18
mreitz_dmu

Here it is. Thank you in advance!

Message 4 of 18
mreitz_dmu
in reply to: seth.madore

Here it is. Thanks in advance!

Message 5 of 18
seth.madore

What is the actual tool you are using?

Assuming your tool definition is correct, what you're going to want to change is this field, increasing its value:

2023-09-18_14h31_27.png

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 18
mreitz_dmu

The tool is a HSS engraving bit, looks like the attached images- it has one flute as pictured from the side (first pic is from autodesk, second pic is edited to show you what it looks like from the side). I increased the angle as high as it would go (180 degrees) but it didn't really do much. I am hoping to "cut out" the entire letters and diamond shape rather than just outlining them, if that makes sense.

Thanks

1.png2.png

Message 7 of 18
seth.madore

Can you share a vendor link to the tool you're using?

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 18
mreitz_dmu

Unfortunately no, the tool was part of a set that came with my CNC machine. Here's a link to that, but it doesn't really mention the tool bits at all:

https://www.sainsmart.com/products/genmitsu-cnc-router-machine-3020-pro-max-diy-kit-for-metal-carvin...

Here are some pictures if that helps at all.

IMG_20230925_105151776.jpgIMG_20230925_105138575.jpg

Message 9 of 18

My guess is you have a Bottom height that is set too high for the tool to be able to create your actual shape. It now has to go side to side and "trace" your shape rather then being able to cut with the whole flute. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 10 of 18
seth.madore

To clarify one thing; the Engrave toolpath won't clear out all the material in a pocket if the width of the cutter is less than the distance between to opposing edges.

In regards to the Angle I mentioned earlier, here's an image of the default setting. Note that it doesn't do any "V-carve" motion on the letters (but does on the diamonds)

2023-09-25_12h43_19.png

Here's the same toolpath with a value of 170 degrees:

2023-09-25_12h44_18.png

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 18
mreitz_dmu

Thank you.

If engrave won't clear the material in the pocket, what process should I use instead? For context, I don't care what the bottom of the letter looks like because it will be cut out of wood and the negative space will be filled in with paint for this project. Trying to use the "2D pocket" process, I get a "toolpath out of date" error, and with 2D adaptive clearing I get a toolpath error of "minimumCuttingRadius >=0.

Thanks again for your help!

Message 12 of 18
seth.madore

Are you trying to use that engrave tool to do the pocketing? That's not going to calculate well, as the tool is defined as coming to a sharp point. You'll want to give the tool a small flat. 
That said, it's going to now violate the walls of the part, as it's only looking at the profile and not considering the walls. 
For that, we would need to use a 3D toolpath, as those are model aware

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 18
seth.madore

I would use an endmill to rough out the pockets, personally.

Seth Madore
Message 14 of 18
mreitz_dmu

So I went back and tried using engrave with a larger V-bit tool, but still has the issue where it doesn't clear out the inside of the letters. I tried adjusting depth; increasing it didn't seem to affect output at all as it simply left material there  when it was supposed to be cleared. I attached the file.

Message 15 of 18
seth.madore

Engrave cannot clear all the material at the bottom and make it flat. However, if you allow the tool to go to the bottom of the pocket, you would end up with this:

2023-09-27_16h00_49.png

Seth Madore
Message 16 of 18
mreitz_dmu

Yes! That's what I want. I don't need the bottom to be flat. What settings do I need to adjust to get what you posted? Thanks

Message 17 of 18
seth.madore

Oh, that's an easy one! Your "Bottom Height" is set to only go -.5mm. Set it to "Selection" in the dropdown and select the bottom face of the pockets.

Seth Madore
Message 18 of 18

Same as what I suggested on Monday 🙂 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report