Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engrave depth dips at junctions

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
gsaDO
211 Views, 7 Replies

Engrave depth dips at junctions

Can anyone suggest what's going on here?

The depth dips at all junctions and on the "4" for some reason.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 10.31.35 AM.png

I also can't figure out what this message is about.  I saw in another post that George Roberts explained how to change the "chaining tolerance" and reducing it from .0004" to .0002" or smaller fixed it, but it's it about?  That's some tiny little factor.  It fixed the larger issue with the "4" but not the junctions.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 10.37.55 AM.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: gsaDO

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! It does appear that this is something that needs to be investigated. To clarify; this was a native Fusion font, right?

As a workaround, you were on the right track with the Extrude command. You can then select all the contours (one by one, as "Face Selection" is picking up incorrect contours).

2023-03-23_06h08_17.png

However, another method, and this may or may not appeal to you; use a "stick" font and use Trace instead

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
gsaDO
in reply to: seth.madore

Yes, it is a native font.

Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

I've logged this as CAM-44015, thanks for reporting it. We'll try to get this investigated!

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 8
HughesTooling
in reply to: seth.madore

For the cutter used this looks correct with the setting of -0.02 for the bottom depth.

HughesTooling_1-1679686344864.png

You can see in the narrow section the cutter can only go to -0.0078" and in the intersection there's more room so the cutter goes to -0.01847. So for this font and this cutter you need to set the bottom height to something like -0.007 to get a more constant depth and no plunges at intersections.

HughesTooling_2-1679686996893.png

This is what I see using -0.007 for the bottom height. Still some places where the cutter can't reach -0.007 but a lot better.

HughesTooling_3-1679687337027.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
gsaDO
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks Mark.  Good catch.  How do you pull up the step by step toolpath information?  I've never encountered that.  You can't get tool depth information in the simulation, right?

Also, I appreciate the instructional videos you put out.  I find them to be really concise, with a level of detail that really works for me.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
HughesTooling

@gsaDO If you right click an op you get an option to show toolpath data.

HughesTooling_0-1679736523387.png

@seth.madore Been meaning to bring this up for a while, always seems strange there's no view data if you right click the toolpath info under an op. Could the view option be added, not like there's a lot of option on this menu at the moment!

HughesTooling_1-1679736660558.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
gsaDO
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report