Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty Toolpath when using rest machining

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
WillL84
240 Views, 10 Replies

Empty Toolpath when using rest machining

I have the first operation being a 2D adaptive clearing with multiple depths and 0.005" radial stock to leave. I then perform a 2D contour and check Rest Machining to clean up that last 0.005" but I get that error as well as "No passes to link".

I've attached an image a swell as the f3z file. The relevant operations are under the "Fixture" setup.

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
i7-11700K/32GB RAM/Quadro RTX A4000
Tags (1)
Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
programming2C78B
in reply to: WillL84

REST machining is only to go inside of internal corners, it is not stock or model aware. It just does the math of "im a 1/4 tool, lets go where the 3/8 couldnt" 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 11
jmackniak

try running a 3D adaptive instead of the 2D

Message 4 of 11
WillL84
in reply to: programming2C78B

Ah ok then, that makes sense I guess. I just thought it looked at whatever was left from previous operations and would take care of that.

I unchecked rest machining and it did a toolpath that just cleans up the four bosses

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 5 of 11
WillL84
in reply to: jmackniak

I would love to but the mill is only 2-axis unfortunately.

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 6 of 11
jmackniak

That should not matter.   Give the 3D adaptive a try and see what happens.

What is the difference between 2D and 3D adaptive clearing?

The 2D Adaptive Clearing toolpath is preferred for roughing simple pockets and other simple geometry whereas 3D Adaptive Clearing offers more control and can be used for more complex geometry
Message 7 of 11
DarthBane55

The problem was in 2d contour operation, not the adaptive path.  No need to use rest machining because he had 0.005" allowance therefore needs to clean up the entire profile anyway.

Message 8 of 11
programming2C78B

3D does NOT refer to it's motion, but moreso that it is driven by a 3D model! 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 9 of 11
WillL84

The only thing it did was make the cycle time a little quicker.

Also the 3D tool paths all seem geared towards true 3D milling, not 2.5D which is all I can do. For instance running a 3D adaptive instead of a 2D makes it ramp down to the next cut depth which my machine cannot do. That'll make a million "SET Z" commands when post processed instead of a single "SET Z" where plunging down to the next cut depth currently does.

"3D does NOT refer to it's motion, but moreso that it is driven by a 3D model! "

3D is designed for machines with a driven Z axis so it can do tapered walls, concave and convex surfaces etc. So yes, it refers to the motion and has nothing to do with a 3D model. 2D paths use the same 3D model that 3D paths use. The difference is the MOTION of the machine.

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 10 of 11
jahnj0584

@WillL84 wrote:

2D paths use the same 3D model that 3D paths use. The difference is the MOTION of the machine.

That's false. Look at how you can use sketches to drive your 2D paths. Look at how you actually have to select thing to program them.

Trace is a "2D" path but will output simultaneous 3 axis movement if required. 3D contour will cut in steps with a fixed Z. Flat and horizontal don't use Z movement either, but they do work off of your model 😉 

Message 11 of 11
WillL84
in reply to: jahnj0584

I didn't use any sketched for my 2D paths, I used the 3D model geometry. I had to select the parts of the 3D model to machine using the 2D tool paths.

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums