Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drilling quickly through pipe

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
hatch789
145 Views, 5 Replies

Drilling quickly through pipe

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to speed things up for my drilling jobs in pipe. Fusion sees the pipe as a solid piece of material even though 90% of it is just air in the center. I'd like to drill at the proper feed for the top and bottom as I remove metal but in the center of the pipe I'd like to move rapidly. I know G81 is modal so this process just goes from hole to hole the same way each time. Can you help me do something where I go slow-fast-slow as I drill through the pipe? It would save a TON of time. I have tried making 2 separate cycles, one for the top of each pipe, one for the bottom but it's also a pain and wastes time with all the extra movements. If I'm already in the hole I'd like to just go slow-fast-slow and be done with that hole, then move on to the next one. -Suggestions welcome.

Here's an example of my code where it's doing the drill cycle for each hole.

N55 G00 X0.5 Y-0.665
N60 G43 Z2.397 H20
N65 G00 Z1.997
N70 G98 G81 X0.5 Y-0.665 Z1.0303 R1.827 F3.
N75 X0.9
N80 X1.3
N85 X1.7
N90 X2.1

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
programming2C78B
in reply to: hatch789

Been in a simular situation. Easiest is either make it a sub routine for feed,rapid, feed or simply allow for it to rapid between the positions and 2 cycles (top, then bottom)

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 6
hatch789
in reply to: programming2C78B

Does F360 allow for a sub-routine to work or is that going to be something I just need to program natively in GCODE? Do you possibly have an example you can attach for me?

Message 4 of 6
seth.madore

You could have a macro program written and then just use a Manual NC "Passthrough" command in Fusion. That's about the only way I can think of. The other option would be to hack a post processor with a custom drilling cycle, but I wouldn't know where to start with that..

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 6
programming2C78B

Not that I know of. Youll have to do the mental math on if the machine can rapid faster between holes then the time you save from writing it all out by hand. Keep in mind the machine will have to rapid back to your start position anyway, so all you save is that initial Z hole depth worth of travel and time.
Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 6 of 6
csl1016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report