Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drill position unusable

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
richardsalzman
510 Views, 11 Replies

Drill position unusable

Hello,

I just got an error "Drill Position Unusable".  It is my understanding that Predrill Positions provide clearance when a hole has already been drilled.  Am I getting this error because the drill and end mill are exactly the same size?  I have attached the Fusion file for clarity.

Thanks... Richard

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

It seems to be a bug, the message.

It doesn't show the message if you select three holes, but it does show it the moment you select the 4th hole.

@seth.madore is the one to investigate further I think.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 3 of 12

Thanks for tagging me Laurens,

Yep, it's a bug, I've logged CAM-43090 to investigate it

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 12

Thanks so much guys!  What are the chances... This is my 7th part and I have found two bugs!

Just a quick question... This part has a .050 chamfer and I plan to use a 45-degree 3/8" chamfer mill to machine. it.  I have been using a feeds & speeds calculator to calculate my feeds & speeds.  To establish the width and depth of cut for these calculations, I could use Right Triangle geometry to determine the width and depth to be .035.  Is there anywhere in Fusion CAM that indicates the width and depth of cut?

Thanks... Richard

Message 5 of 12

If using the Chamfer or 2D Contour/Chamfer toolpath, there isn't much control over how wide and deep you're going, other than the "Chamfer Width" and "Tip Offset".

For speeds and feeds purposes, assuming this is aluminum, I'd just take it in one pass. For commercial equipment, I'd run around 8k rpm and a feed of 24 ipm (depending on flute count and desired finish).

For light-duty machines, I'd scale that back to where your machine can handle. So, perhaps half that on speeds and feeds?

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 12

Thanks Seth.

Message 7 of 12

I'm getting the same error. Is there a work around? Cutting a 4mm slot with a 3mm end mill and I get the same error, but the code posts fine.
Message 8 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: PhilCNC2

@PhilCNC2  Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 12
PhilCNC2
in reply to: seth.madore

Here is the file, it only shows the feature that I'm having trouble with, all critical dimensions for manufacturing or design have been removed. 

Message 10 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: PhilCNC2

@PhilCNC2 yep, I can reproduce this issue. Interesting that it produces a warning (not an error) but seems to function just fine otherwise.. 🤔

I've opened up CAM-48766 to investigate this

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 12
shaunEXGCZ
in reply to: richardsalzman

Hi @seth.madore, any updates on CAM-48766?  I'm getting the same error. 

Message 12 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: shaunEXGCZ

No, sorry.

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report