Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISPLAY "DRILL DEPTH" LENGTH

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
programming2C78B
274 Views, 8 Replies

DISPLAY "DRILL DEPTH" LENGTH

Mastercam does this, and it's very helpful. No reason Fusion can't show it in the window, if not also on the planes image on the model.

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

bump, still want this 

Message 3 of 9

I admit, I'm not sure what it is you're actually looking to have displayed, and where it would be displayed 🤔

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 9

I just realized I typod and meant to say "drill tip depth"

say you program a drill to go -1. , and enable "tip comp". Without going into View toolpath or simulating it, I don't know what the final depth of the drill is! It seems fusion thinks all drills come to a sharp, when they certainly don't in real life (usually making a hole 10-15 thou deeper than intended).
All our tap holes are called out MAX HOLE, so Id like to see that the tip length on my drill is theoretically 0.037", but I can program to -1.025 to get it very close but still be on the safe side!
Message 5 of 9

Are you using these 2 options? 

leocastellon_0-1691090138001.png

LeoC

Message 6 of 9

Yes, I guess most people haven't used mcam before. This is what Im looking for programming2C78B_0-1691493773430.png

Message 7 of 9

Hi @programming2C78B,

I understand what you're saying but I program a lot, but for what reason do you want to see that value?

If your body length (length below holder) is long enough and you program with fixturing then all kind of collisions will be detected.

If my post answers your question Please use Accept as Solution & Kudos This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Met vriendelijke groet | Kind regards | Mit freundlichem Gruß

Marco Takx
CAM Consultant

Message 8 of 9

say you program a drill to go -1. , and enable "tip comp". Without going into View toolpath or simulating it, I don't know what the final depth of the drill is! It seems fusion thinks all drills come to a sharp, when they certainly don't in real life (usually making a hole 10-15 thou deeper than simulated.
All our tap holes are called out MAX HOLE, so Id like to see that the tip length on my drill is theoretically 0.037", but I can program to -1.025 to get it very close but still be on the safe side!

Message 9 of 9
CNC_Lee
in reply to: programming2C78B

This is not currently available in Fusion. 

You could however calculate the tip length using the following formula:

DTL=D/2/Tan(A/2)

Where DTL is the Drill Tip Length (in)
D is the drill diameter (in)
A is the tip angle (degrees)

To calculate a drill tip length, divide the diameter by 2, then divide again by the value of the tangent of half the tip angle.

You could also post out just the drill cycle and look at the "ZMIN" value in the tool list to see the drill's final depth.

HTH

If my post answers your question, please use Accept as Solution.

CNC Lee
Fusion 360 CAM Post Processor Expert
https://linktr.ee/cnclee

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report