Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining a Thread Milling Tool?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
durahl
112 Views, 2 Replies

Defining a Thread Milling Tool?

So, I'm currently setting up a bunch of Thread Milling Tools but I'm having a bit of a problem with one section I cannot seem to define the way how I usually do it...

That being the diameter of the yellow marked portion of the thinned down Shaft portion:

Screenshot 2023-03-12 055949.png

If defined like this with 8mm Flute Length some not by the User adjustable Value seems to define the diameter of the yellow-colored Shaft Portion directly above the Cutters which is larger than the actual physical Shaft.

Alternate Approach:

Screenshot 2023-03-12 060018.png

In this Example I've reduced both the Flute Length and Shoulder Length down to 0.5mm ( same as the Thread Pitch ) and transferred the remaining 7.5mm of the previous example Flute Length over to the Shaft Tab resulting in the Model now more closely resembling the Physical Model - Except for the still remaining sliver of yellow Shaft Portion above the Cutters.

Which one is the appropriate way to do it? 🤔🤨

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
seth.madore
in reply to: durahl

We acknowledge that threadmill definition is severely lacking, and it's (hopefully) to be included in our efforts this year.

The narrow portion is driven by a set of math functions behind the scenes, there's no way to influence it and sometimes it's right, sometimes it's not. Further, that yellow portion is also not adjustable to be only the flute portion.

One could, if they were determined to get the the closest representation possible, use "Shaft" definitions (which it appears you've done), but that yellow sliver remains.

So, use whatever works. If you've measured the tool and all math says you're good-to-go, run it.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 3
durahl
in reply to: durahl

Huh... So I wasn't just imagining things there something being off.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums