Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deburr lead-in problem

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
DarthBane55
108 Views, 1 Reply

Deburr lead-in problem

So in the deburr operation, if you want to stay clear of walls by 0.010", you CANNOT.  The operation forces you to have 1/4 of the tool radius as a radius lead-in!!  Where does that come from, 1/4 of the tool radius!!  lol  Someone picked that out of a hat?  It just seems very random.  Why can't we leave it as no lead-in?  That way the tool would really be 0.010" from the wall, as wanted.  Also, why not giving more lean-in options... when using 2d chamfer, I often pick a lead-in 0.1" long at 110º, so that when it goes down on Z, it's a bit further away from the wall, then approaches to the 0.010" wanted.  That works perfectly, but deburr does not allow it.  At the very least, get rid of this 1/4 of tool radius thing and let us plunge straight down on the start of the path, with a little plunge feedrate to engage.

2.png1.png

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
peter.lockyer
in reply to: DarthBane55

Hi @DarthBane55,

Thanks for this report.  You'll be aware that this toolpath actually comes from ModuleWorks, so we don't have the ability to change it - just to tweak the way it's presented, or to lobby them to make changes.

In this case, their documentation makes it very clear that this strategy will always create a tangential arc move into the edge that's being deburred, so some sort of a radius is mandatory.  The imposition of the limit of 1/4 of the tool radius comes from ModuleWorks.  We have added that as a parameter restriction to our user interface so that users can't calculate a toolpath that will subsequently fail.

I appreciate that this probably isn't the answer you wanted, but I do not believe ModuleWorks have any plans to support plunges on to the edge to avoid this tangential arc move.

Peter Lockyer

Software Development Manager, Fusion 360 Manufacturing and PowerMill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums