Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Turning Tools

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
fuquamatt
587 Views, 7 Replies

Custom Turning Tools

How do you model a custom boring bar. I seem to be having trouble making the tool holder round on the simulation and getting the tool to look correct. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
akash.kamoolkar
in reply to: fuquamatt

Hi @fuquamatt,

At this point you can't create a round boring holder, and this is a known issue. We are hoping to fix this in the near future.

Thanks,

Akash Kamoolkar

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager
Message 3 of 8
zwelsh91
in reply to: akash.kamoolkar

Sooner than later, We hope?

The Turning side of Fusion 360 leaves a lot to be desired, Tool Definition being the largest. I Have been having trouble Defining a MVLNL-164D Tool Holder using the "Custom" holder option. I just can not get it to work.

It would be nice if Fusion would let us define the geometry of our tools (Shape Etc.) and The control point like most of the other software on the market and drive it along geometry. (This holds True for Mill tools as well like Form Tools or any tool for that matter.) As a Seasoned user of Mastercam and Surfcam, I feel railroaded by the way I have to select specific tools for specific toolpaths by the fusion software. That along with the lack of options in the lathe tooling department frustrates me. 

Zak Welsh
Zakary Welsh Machine LLC
Message 4 of 8
akash.kamoolkar
in reply to: zwelsh91

Hi @zwelsh91

Are you referring to the fact that the trailing and leading angles for a custom turning holder don't persist? If so, that issue is high on our list of bugs to be fixed soon. As for custom turning tools, that is a big project and we hope to get to it at some point but for now we do have some big things coming up that should make your life a lot easier in terms of easier workflows, bug fixes, etc. It's just a matter of scheduling our limited resources and making sure we get the basic stuff fixed first that affects almost every user before we can get to the more complex requests. But please bear in mind that we do understand the issue.

Regards,

Akash Kamoolkar

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager
Message 5 of 8

Any update on this?  It's been several years without a working solution.  

Message 6 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: fuquamatt

The development team is working hard on all things lathe tooling. There's still a ways to go before we get to full-blow custom import or definition, but the work is being done.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 7 of 8
Steadfastmac
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for the quick response... Any chance of an ETA? 2023, 2024, 2025?
Message 8 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: Steadfastmac

I honestly don't know. I know it's a priority, that much I can say!

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report