Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Thread Tables get overwritten during updates.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
vpace91423
86 Views, 4 Replies

Custom Thread Tables get overwritten during updates.

Went through the Autodesk Tehnical Support process of creating a custom thread table for form taps. Works well. Except, Fusion  360 overwrites the file on each update. Any reason why or work around? Seems every key stroke or entry in Manufacturing has User Default, Reset to User Default, System Default, Edit Expression except for anything related to a hole thread. Seems for both hole recognition and hole creation, it would seem normal to have a user default aspect to it instead of an archaic edit of hidden files each time there is an update. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: vpace91423

Editing the Custom Thread table is only really allowed because we don't offer every possible thread size natively in the software. Yes, it will be overwritten with each update, unfortunately.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5
vpace91423
in reply to: seth.madore

Not sure Form Taps fall into the "every possible combination" category. In fact, chip management on an automated machine (CNC) is the primary reason for the use of form taps over cutting taps. Simply stating if they approached the hole size with the three dots of User Defined and System Default etc., this issue would completely go away. Haven't seen too many boxes greyed out (one of the reasons I like Fusion 360) especially in such a critical area of manufacturing. I can tell a .5 endmill it is only .125 in diameter (my bad) but I can't tell a 1/4-20 tapped hole I want the hole size to be .228 instead of .201. Just frustrated becasue I get handed base plates with hundreds of holes from the designers with Fusion 360 and they think it is cool to show the threaded holes when in fact it completely negates spot drilling to chamfer depth in a single operation and foces me to deal with each size with multiple operations. 

Message 4 of 5
seth.madore

Ah, Form Taps, you didn't mention that. Yes, form taps are quite valid, and we don't make any consideration for the larger minor diameter, and the same thing goes for STI threads (Heli-Coils for example) which are quite common in aluminum.

I'm sure it's little consolation, but we are working actively on improving this area of threads and threading. It's still a long ways off, but discussions are being had.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 5
vpace91423

Understood. We always complain about the nit picking items and overlook the benefits working with the software. Guilty as charged. Back to programming. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report