Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a toolpath for a face-cam profile using a 4th axis

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
anthony5DTYM
257 Views, 5 Replies

Creating a toolpath for a face-cam profile using a 4th axis

New user here~ Cross posted.

I'm struggling to create a toolpath to machine the cam-lobe shape on the face of this part.

I have modeled the profile carefully as such the CNC would only need to move in the X (left to right) table direction and turn the rotary table at the same time.

anthony5DTYM_0-1670097105261.jpeg

I can't seem to get the wrap toolpath to accept the shape.

Any ideas?

@https://a360.co/3VAlRyQ

Labels (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: anthony5DTYM

Hi

So you may be having problems with Wrap because it will not let you select closed(cyclic) contours.

you have to break it up into two separate 2D contour paths.

contour.png

It also seems that the front profile is NOT a true wrapped shape as there is some over and under cutting of various areas where the walls are not coaxial with the tool axis.(perpendicular to the rotary axis).

another option you could look at is the new rotary pocket/contour toolpaths.

I have an example with a square endmill which shows the walls with stair steps on the.

and a second with a ball nose the will generate the profile correctly as modelled.

Message 3 of 6
anthony5DTYM
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Thank you for the in-depth help and putting your time into this.

I've read/ watched that you need to select the line segments induvidually (as you did), but I cannot get fusion to allow me to do this. Anywhere I select it always chains the segments into a cyclic contour. Is there a trick to breaking it up? 

For instance, my o-ring groove at the other end of the part. (If) I want to do this with an endmill, how can I break up it up into segments? Or would I be required to use Multi-Axis functionality?

I just added the rotary preview. I didn't know about this! Thanks, I will play with it and your samples.

Message 4 of 6
a.laasW8M6T

Hi

heres a wee vid on the selection process and how to split a cyclic feature

Message 5 of 6
anthony5DTYM

Thank you for the help. Using ALT is what I was missing.

Rotary Contour seems to make the best path for the face feature. I've duplicated them allowing different amounts of "Stock to leave" so I am able to create multiple depths of cuts in the X direction rather than the Z.

Screenshot 2022-12-03 204710.jpg

Thank you again answering my questions.

Message 6 of 6
anthony5DTYM
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Also: 

As an experiment I changed my cutter to 1/8" and I no longer have the overcut/ undercut issues. I think the larger tool size was interfering with the material as it ramped up and down the contour.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report