Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a sharp edge in 3-Axis milling

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mhzhamza
239 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a sharp edge in 3-Axis milling

I want to make this part on a 3 axis mill , I have made the curved surface using a ball mill and morphed spiral toolpath/scallop toolpath but I am having issues machining the V sharp edge geometry , I tried using a taper end mill on a adaptive clearing toolpath and also tried using a chamfer mill  but to no avail, also the height of the blade from the tip to the root is 1.5mm.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: mhzhamza

Please share your Fusion file here.

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 9
mhzhamza
in reply to: seth.madore

Here is the file

Message 4 of 9
seth.madore

You have fillets of .5mm, are you planning on going in there with a 1mm ball endmill?

What sort of equipment do you have, and what is the application for this part? Is a razor edge needed, or is there expected polishing to be done? How many of these do you need to make?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 9
leo.castellon

In your sample file, you have both toolpaths shown with a 6mm ball end mill. The 6mm ball would never work to get the sharp edges, it is too large, see attached pics. If I were to machine this, I would start with a 4mm ball or even a 3mm ball for the adaptive, then finish with a scallop toolpath using a 2mm ball. Or start with the bigger ball end mill for the adaptive and then make another adaptive toolpath with a slightly smaller ball end mill using rest machining then finish with a scallop toolpath with a 2mm ball or even better a 1.5mm ball. It would be best to add fillets in the sharp corners before machining because on the finishing toolpaths, you will get blemishes from the tool slamming in those corners, or possibly breaking those small end mills. To get the sharpest corners, you might have to add an additional 3d contour toolpath to get the crispest edge possible. Just my opinion.

LeoC

Message 6 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: leo.castellon

@leo.castellon all good info, thanks for chiming in!

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 9
mhzhamza

Thank you for your reply.

Let's say we neglect the .5 fillet radius , and take into consideration the razor edge, will it be possible just by using a smaller ball end mill. I wanted to use an engraving tool on a 3d toolpath but fusion gives an invalid toolpath error.

Other than that this is just a prototype whether we can mass produce this segment is another story.

As far as polishing goes I have no idea how to achieve that using that method could you elaborate as I am new to the trade.

Message 8 of 9
mhzhamza
in reply to: leo.castellon

Thank you Leo,

Let's say I have removed all the stock by using a 3mm ball end mill and an adaptive toolpath, now i have stock remaining only at the vicinity of the razor edge , if I use a 2mm/1.5mm ball end mill can i chain only the V edge excluding the fillet.

Message 9 of 9
mhzhamza

Yes the razor edge is needed , this part is a cutter segment which is mounted on a roller and is used to cut carboard pakckets at the exact some spots where the razor edge is.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report