Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting imported Autocad splines to elipses.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ravenswood
163 Views, 7 Replies

Converting imported Autocad splines to elipses.

I imported an Autocad ellipse into Fusion 360 and it will not cut smoothly on my SCM Pratix CNC. I tried converting the DWg file to a polyline using Splinedit but it still does not cut smoothly like the circles and arc I have cut. Is there a way to "smooth" or convert the spline ellipse to a readable polyline directly in Fusion? if not, any other tips to take care of it in Autocad? Thank you.

-David

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
HughesTooling
in reply to: ravenswood

What toolpath are you using? Use the ellipse not a polyline and and enable smoothing in the toolpath. One problem you can run into is cutting the outside or the ellipse using in computer offset will probably create a terrible toolpath unless you're careful with the tolerances.

Can you share a design with an ellipse and a toolpath you've setup? Just export the design as a f3d.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
ravenswood
in reply to: HughesTooling

https://a360.co/3FSGfop

Mr. Hughs,

Attached is the Fusion file. 

The ellipse template was drawn in autocad, splines converted to polylines, "exploded," and uploaded to Fusion. The manufacturing set-up is essentially the same one I have been using for all of our radius hardwood and plywood milling.

I am relatively new to Fusion and was unaware of the Smoothing capabilities. Thank you and I will change the set-up and run the test. Any other insight would be appreciated.

David

Message 4 of 8
HughesTooling

@ravenswood wrote:

https://a360.co/3FSGfop

Mr. Hughs,

Attached is the Fusion file. 

The ellipse template was drawn in autocad, splines converted to polylines, "exploded," and uploaded to Fusion. set-up and run the test. Any other insight would be appreciated.

David

You should not have exploded the splines, not going to work too well using a polyline. Can you create the file again but just working with the splines or ellipses and share again?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
HughesTooling

Fusion is very sluggish with this file. I exported the sketch to Rhino and found it's made from 8194 segments so your extruded body will be 8196 surfaces!  You are going to get far better performance and toolpaths working directly from the splines.

HughesTooling_0-1699641836284.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
HughesTooling

I've redone your design in Fusion using 2 ellipses. Don't know if it needed to be at what seems a random position.

HughesTooling_0-1699643755752.png

Now the design is easy to work with as the file's about 1/6 the size. See attached file. To get a good smoothed toolpath you need to set the tolerance to 0.0001 and smoothing tolerance to 0.001. There's a long time bug where offsetting splines\ellipses to the outside creates lots of line and arc moves. Each arc is created by Fusion trying to do external corner rounding. If you set the tolerance really small like 0.0001 smoothing will work well as the corner rounding arc are so small.

@seth.madore I noticed a couple of things trying to work with this design. First after simplifying the design the file size remained at about 2Mb but after doing a save as that strips all CAM data and then recreating the set up and OP the file size is only 352kb. I remember there was a problem in the past where Fusion didn't purge old references in the CAM workspace, I guess that's still not fixed?

Also seems still problems with offsetting splines and ellipses to the outside! Surely they should be able to turn off roll around external corners for splines and ellipses if smoothing is enabled.

@ravenswood I've attached the cleaned up small file.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 7 of 8

@seth.madore I've attached the other version of this design where it seems the old CAM data is bloating it up to 2MB. I've had problems myself where a design becomes sluggish after too many edits, Save As then recreate CAM is the only fix to get the design working again.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
ravenswood

Thank you for all the help; the knowledge and insight has me back on track.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums