Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour 2D Causing Origin Y Too Small Error on AXYZ Innovator CNC

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
c_w_smeaton
697 Views, 10 Replies

Contour 2D Causing Origin Y Too Small Error on AXYZ Innovator CNC

When I add a contour 2D operation to a CAM setup, the CNC will not start and throws an error that says "Origin Y too small." If this operation is removed the error disappears.

I don't think the error is a result of the tool properties. Other operations like Pocket work with the same tool.

The error seems to involve post-processing or perhaps something to do with my user preferences. Occasionally, I am able to make the Contour 2D operation work in test files. When I apply the same settings to my original file, the error reappears and the test files stop functioning and also begin to cause the same error, even with no changes at all made to the file. Just post-processing the same previously successful setup after running the malfunctioning setup causes the functioning test files to stop working.

I've tried this from multiple computers with similar results.

I've experimented extensively with height settings for the toolpath with strangely mixed results. Occasionally, adjusting the feed height or a similar option seems to jolt the toolpath into cooperating. When I apply the same changes to the original file, the error persists and all the functioning test files cease to function.

I should note, I have not let any of these actually run on the machine. I simply set them up, press start, and see if I get the error or if the machine starts. As such, I can't say whether the tests that I am considering successful would actually behave as expected.

I'm not sure how to add a fusion file here, but I can include some g-codes that involved the 2d contour and I'll try to add the fusion files ASAP. I'm sure it's obvious that this is my first post, if there are any other files I should include or any other settings/ information that might help just let me know.

--I've updated to add the fusion files and I've removed one of the gcodes The file named ABSORBER_FULL_FRAME... is the original file that caused the Origin Y Too Small Error. The file named CNC_TEST... is where I have been experimenting trying to get the 2D contour to work. It did work briefly, but after posting the ABSORBER_FULL_FRAME... file both of these files started causing the error.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm totally baffled by this. Thanks!

Some updates:

I continued troubleshooting today and realized the following:

The issue is not with the 2D contour itself, the issue is linking multiple toolpaths in one operation. Instead of selecting multiple geometries for the contour, I duplicated the contour operation for each geometry that needed to be cut. This ran. However, as soon as I introduced the pocket operation using the same tool as the 2D contours, "E303 Origin Y too small" occurred again. Until I restart the machine entirely, the error appears for any new subsequent files that I run.

The error is often preceded by the machine requiring me to measure Tool 4 with a warning about the tool being to tall. I use the machine's sensor to measure Tool 4 (Tool 1 is used for the 2D contour and pocket) but ultimately still get the familiar E303. It seems to have less to do with my origin and more to do with something that happens when multiple toolpaths are linked.

Labels (6)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: c_w_smeaton

To share a file here:
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 11
c_w_smeaton
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank you! I've updated the post.

Message 4 of 11
seth.madore

Bunch of questions:
1) Are you trying to add g-code from one Fusion file to the previously output code from another Fusion file?
2) Which post processor are you using?

3) Does your machine have homing switches on it?
4) Where is your part placed on your router bed?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 11
c_w_smeaton

1) Nope. The g-codes should be separate. One output from each respective Fusion File. Definitely not trying to do anything fancy with the g-codes, I only looked at them to see if something was obviously very amiss.

2) I am using the AXYZ International post processor which I found in the Fusion 360 library and I accepted the prompt to copy it to a local folder.

3) I'm sorry I'm new to CNC and my understanding of homing switches is based on the youtube video I just watched! I'm using an AXYZ Innovator which does have a home button on the controller that brings the machine to position G26 which is the corner of where the material begins.

4) If I stand facing the short front side of the router bed, just in front of the tool holder, the material is aligned with the right and the front edges of the machine.

Message 6 of 11
seth.madore

Is there an error number associated with this message?

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 11
c_w_smeaton

I believe the number was 303 and can confirm that tomorrow. The text was definitely "Origin Y too small." Occasionally, I would get a 305 error rather than 303. Here are the descriptions from the AXYZ site: 

ERROR 303 – BOUNDARY ERROR MINUS Y

This error is generated if the machine is trying to move too far in the negative Y direction and the carriage will hit the minus Y stops. This error can occur if the NC file has minus Y commands and the machine origin is not moved far enough away from the Y stops. This is an operational or file creation error. There is no electrical or mechanical problem with the machine. Do not replace parts or service the machine. For more information.

Since all of the errors I get are related to the work not fitting within the boundaries, my first round of debugging focused on setting the WCS correctly. I experimented with many options here, but settled on using my stock box to set the orientation and origin so that the z-axis points away from the work, the x-axis points along the long, right edge of the machine, and the y-axis points along the short front edge. The origin is placed on the bottom right hand corner of the stock box to match position G26 on the machine.

Message 8 of 11
c_w_smeaton

Though I am still a bit confused about setting the WCS and origin. Does it matter how my view is aligned in Fusion when I set this? Or does it only matter where I place the origin and how the WCS aligns with the stock and model?

Message 9 of 11
seth.madore

How the part is oriented in Fusion is irrelevant, all that matters is that you've defined your WCS correctly. You could have a part at some odd angle and miles away from the Fusion origin, as long as you define Z and X correctly and where you want the origin to be, you'll be all set

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 11
c_w_smeaton

Ok that aligns with the results I got from experimenting today. I suppose the issue probably isn't coming from the WCS in that case.

Message 11 of 11
c_w_smeaton

Hi Seth, I did more troubleshooting today and updated my posts with some findings. Not sure if you get notified about that, so I thought I'd reply directly to this post to bug you! Any ideas about what might be going on would be greatly appreciated.

I should also mention that I found myself in a very bizarre situation today where occasionally, 2 identical g-codes (besides the file names) would produce different results (one ran and the other caused the E303). If I saved the file with a new name and edited the first line of the g-code to match, the file began to run again.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report