Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction Axis impacting Rotary Pocket Operation

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mjpdougherty
132 Views, 5 Replies

Construction Axis impacting Rotary Pocket Operation

I am making a pallet for a clock, it is an odd shaped part with a couple of holes on different planes, so to make my life easy, I was going to machine it out of round bar stock on my 4th axis.

To get the part aligned in the stock the way I wanted, I used some construction planes and created a construction axis through the intersecting planes.  That is my x-axis for the 4th axis.

The odd thing is the Rotary Pocket operation treats the construction axis as part of the model and mills around it.  A following Rotary Pocket does the same thing.  Even when I am careful to select the body only as the model in the setup and when I use the model option in Rotary Pocket to again select only the two body bodies (the model and a surface I created for use on some of the milling operations.

Happy to share the files with you so you can see what I mean.  

Thanks,
Mike Dougherty

Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
seth.madore
in reply to: mjpdougherty

Yeah, if you could share your Fusion file here, that'd be great.
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 6
mjpdougherty
in reply to: seth.madore

I exported the file, and attached it.  To work around this, I am going to try to create a sketch line along the axis, and then remove the axis.  That should avoid the issue, but there seems to be an issue with the Rotary operation thinking the axis is intended to be part of the end part.

Thanks, Mike

Message 4 of 6
mjpdougherty

Update.  I created a sketch with a construction line along the construction axis, I then removed the construction axis, and updated the setup to use the construction line as the center line for the stock in the manufacturing setup.  Same thing.  The Rotary Pocket operation will not mill through the construction line (which is just part of a sketch).  

As an experiment, I created a Rotary Parallel operation on the same setup.  It has no problem going through the construction line.  So it seems to be something about Rotary Pocket.

Thanks, Mike

Message 5 of 6
seth.madore

What you're actually seeing is that the Rotary Pocket can't machine a feature that is below the center of rotation, it's not related to the construction axis. To demonstrate, I've moved your axis off location a bit and you can see that it's changed where it can machine:

2023-10-02_06h08_49.png

That said, Pocket is really not the best option here, I'd suggest 2D or 3D Adaptive for your roughing and perhaps Flat or 2D Contour/Pocket for your finishing.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 6
mjpdougherty
in reply to: seth.madore

I agree 2D operations would be more effective, and I went that path on Friday. 

Thanks for the clarification that the operation will not be able to go past the centerline of the part.  I would hope that limitation will be addressed.  For another part, 2D operations may not be as effective, and Rotary Pocket is the roughing operation I would be going to, and it would not fully rough the part.

Thanks for the investigation and the responses.

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report