Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constrain nest to keep component relationships from 3D model

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
eric_l_din
107 Views, 3 Replies

Constrain nest to keep component relationships from 3D model

I am designing/building plywood cabinets with Fusion 360 and a CNC router table, and I am hoping to constrain the nesting operation to keep certain components  as laid out in the 3D design model, namely that I want all of the drawer and door fronts to nest as a single unit so they appear as a continuous sheet of plywood once assembled.

I am able to constrain the grain direction, but I do not see a way to constrain component relationships within the nest.

eric_l_din_0-1706631772354.png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: eric_l_din

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Are you looking for a result similar to what you've manually done?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 4
eric_l_din

Hi Seth,

Sorry if my original question wasn't very clear; hopefully the below pictures will help to illustrate. I am trying to nest all the drawer/door fronts of a cabinet such that after the cabinet is fully assembled, the fronts appear to be a continuous sheet of plywood (grain matching). You can see for the top two drawers in the pictures below, they were nested next to each other so the grain matches; I would like this same thing for all of the fronts on the cabinet.

Right now, each drawer/door front is a separate component as I used a configurable model to set the size of the drawer before inserting into my top level assembly, so they are not fixed with respect to each other when the model is nested. I believe I could convert the fronts back to bodies and manually space them to allow room for my cutting tool, but I am wondering if there is a function more native to the nesting tool that might be less manual.

Does that make more sense? I would rather not share my model publicly unless necessary.

Thanks

eric_l_din_0-1706812299295.png

eric_l_din_1-1706812350487.png

Message 4 of 4
seth.madore

So, what I'm hearing you ask for is:
Grain Control   (which Nesting and Advanced Arrange do have)

Aligned like in your first image above

It's that second point which is going to be a problem, as that is a manual placement, not a computed placing. Fusion does not support this, sorry.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report