Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused over Scallop stepover settings

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
programming2C78B
140 Views, 4 Replies

Confused over Scallop stepover settings

I find I have to double or triple my stepovers when surfacing with Scallop. Why or what am I missing?

This is a 1/8th rad being made with 19 stepdowns. That would really mean each stepdown is .0065, right? That's a far cry from the "programmed" .02. I just don't get what the disconnect here is, if I did a parallel path with .02 I'd get x0, x.02,x.04 etc etc. With scallop it certainly isn't the case. 
programming2C78B_0-1696000426444.png

Limit # of stepovers is also weird to me, since it will just trim off the centermost paths. In my head, if I say 10 stepdowns and it's a .100 feature I'd want equispaced .01" steps, not 5 .003 steps and then a giant void in the middle. If I set 4 stepdowns on this part, it only gives me 2! With 8, I get 8. 

programming2C78B_0-1696000564998.png

programming2C78B_1-1696000586578.png

Thanks 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

@seth.madore do you know anything about this or who I can talk to?

Message 3 of 5

I honestly couldn't speak with any authority on it, but happy to loop in folks who have a better understanding of what's going on "behind the curtain". Understanding that you can't share your exact file, could you replicate this question/toolpath in a file you can share?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 5

Straight from the dev's:
First, the tooltip for the stepover is wrong.
For 'scallop' the stepover is the distance of the passes on the surface, not a 'horizontal' distance. That's one thing that might confuse users. We will discuss this internally and we'll open a ticket for it. Scallop always works from a boundary, either the selection or a silhouette boundary by default. The number of steps limit is basically counting the steps in from the boundary, but it still uses the programmed surface stepover. The misconception is that limiting the number of steps does not change the stepover distance.

In regards to:

@programming2C78B wrote:

This is a 1/8th rad being made with 19 stepdowns. That would really mean each stepdown is .0065, right? That's a far cry from the "programmed" .02. I just don't get what the disconnect here is, if I did a parallel path with .02 I'd get x0, x.02,x.04 etc etc. With scallop it certainly isn't the case. 

Machining a plane in X/Y with the scallop toolpath and a stepover of 0.02,  you will get passes that are 0.02 apart in XY. The difference to a parallel toolpath will be determined by the shape of the 'initial' boundary we start offsetting from. Importantly in scallop machining a tilted plane with a stepover of 0.02 will still give you a 0.02 distance in 3D between the passes, unlike for example parallel, where the distance in XY plane is still 0.02 but on the surface it will be bigger, depending on the slope.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 5

I can if you need, but this is a constant issue with (my) Scallops. Just throw it on any corner rad and it'll demonstrate the same behavior. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums