Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CNC Tool runs into other features

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mattkcv
97 Views, 2 Replies

CNC Tool runs into other features

Hey all, I'm quite new to the cam side of things. I'm currently stuck on a particular feature in the screenshot below.

mattkcv_1-1693231508383.png

I spent the majority of Friday researching, and I cannot get the cut-out on fin 5 to be machined without the tool hitting the adjacent fins. Using the 2D pocket causes the collisions.

mattkcv_2-1693231541451.png

I've also tried the 3D contour, with the avoid selection option, and it gives me an empty toolpath error. I'm using a 3/8" flat endmill and would prefer to keep it that way to avoid tool changes, but it can be changed if need be.

Also, if anyone has any suggestion about how to machine out the cut-out of the lower/front left corner, that'd be great. I can get it cutout, but that was by using a 2D contour along the entire left face, which I'd rather not do.

mattkcv_3-1693231830442.png

Attached are the files, Blank Heatsink is the stock form, Heatsink 20A is the desired result.

Thanks,

Matt

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
seth.madore
in reply to: mattkcv

You're going to want a 2D Contour toolpath with just a little bit of Tangential Extension along with "Roughing Passes":

2023-08-28_10h23_38.png

For your second question, just use the ALT key and force 2D Contour selection into an "open" strategy:

2023-08-28_10h25_36.png

File is attached for your review

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 3
mattkcv
in reply to: seth.madore

Hey Seth, thanks a ton, that is exactly what I was trying to do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report