Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CNC: Machine file vs Post processing file

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
downthedrainstudios
377 Views, 2 Replies

CNC: Machine file vs Post processing file

So I'm having a hard time understanding this. I tried to search the forums and just through google, and found nothing. ๐Ÿ˜•

What's the difference between a CPS file and a Machine file?

If I'm using a machine that ISN'T on the fusion 360 list, do I need to get both a CPS file AND Machine file?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

I assume this thread was moved from another forum. Please do not cross post.

Message 3 of 3

Hello @downthedrainstudios , @johnswetz1982 

John, you are partially right, in your answer.

But it also means you are partially wrong.

Let me clarify the "problem".

The .machine MUST be used in 2 situations actually.

When you are using the machine simulation, you need a .machine that is referencing the 3dmodel for the machine, and contains the kinematics and machine capabilities.

In the Additive workspace, for creating an fff toolpath, you NEED a .machine file, or else no toolpath will be created.

For milling and turning, we can now create toolpaths, and post process, without needing to associate a .machine file.

But the plan in the near future, it to spread the use of the . machine configuration file.

When dealing with 4-5 axis mill or 3-??? axis turn mill machine, it will be a bonus, allowing to create a kinematic in this file to use with a generic post.

If we have for example a MPOL 4 axis mill, and a FRED 5 axis mill, the kinematic will be defined in .machine files, but we could use the same R45T post for both machines.

For the specific case of @downthedrainstudios , at the time, the .machine file will not add anything to the workflow.

Hope this will clarify the role of both files for others Forum visitors...

Have a pleasant day.

Regards.

PS : Yes John, i also cross posted... ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Serge.Q
Technical Consultant
cam.autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report